ad: MLSons-1

NCVEC Files No-Code Petition

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by AA7BQ, Jul 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. n9rov

n9rov Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W5USB @ July 31 2003,16:19)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">"My computer can learn CW for me"

Jeesh, what an silly statement. Was this a joke or something? Maybe your computer can do your job for you as well? Then it can automatically deposit your pay into it's...um...your checking account. You know, why must you wipe your own butt when your computer can......

Well, I hope you love the little matrix you and your fellow youngin's are making for yourselves.

Art[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Yes, my check is deposited by computer and I even do online banking. Wow imagine that, I thought we would have to wait for the year 2000 before that would ever happen.... Oh, what do you mean we have progressed pass that point... 2003! I guess it is time to move on... Out with the old and in with the new! ... Get used to it!

BTW Mom chose to teach me to wipe my own butt, but she opted out on teaching me CW, she still doesn't see the point!

-Brian

2. KC7JTY

KC7JTY Banned QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W7WIK @ Aug. 01 2003,10:41)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I'm seeing a trend in this and other CW forums.  It seems that most (but not all) of the people who are against CW, don't know how to spell!  

Could be two things I suppose.  

One - they could be afraid to use CW for fear of embarrassment.

Two - they are the type of person who is too lazy to learn.

Just an observation,
    Marco, W7WIK[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Interesting.....How about the many CW ops who use it because they can't carry lively, real time conversation?
    KC7JTY

3. AG4RQ

AG4RQ Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (NJ1K @ Aug. 01 2003,11:58)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">So what's the deal with code???  Why is it that earning a license by having to learn code so demeaning to you no-coders??  It sounds to me like you are so self centered and selfish that you won't do anything unless it provides an immediate return on your time and effort...[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Learning code DOES provides an immediate return on your time and effort. Passing the code test provides you with immediate access to HF. Even without upgrading to General, passing your CW test will enable you to use phone on 10m.

4. KG4WTL

KG4WTL Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been a ham since 1987, CW is my favorite mode by far, check out 7.025 - 7.050 any evening when the band is open and then look me in the face and tell me it's obsolete, there is no interest!  You can't hardly find a spot to call CQ!!!

Wanting to become a ham without CW is like going to the Marines recruiter and telling him "Hey, I'd like to become a Marine but I have no interest in guns, they're obsolete."

Do away with CW and it will be way to easy, every redneck with a CB and a screwdriver will be a ham. 4-10 Bud Goody, got ma heater on an the hammer down!

Sure there will be more hams, and not all of them will be shmucks who memorized the question pool, but there will be more of them on HF!

It seems to me that there is a group of whiners out there that will not be happy until Ham Tickets are available as prizes in their favorite breakfast cereal!  Havn't we given in enough? When I started out you couldn't get a ticket at all without CW!!!  Heck, I even saw some whiner wanting to make the theory easier!!! While we're at it why don't we make it open book? THEY GIVE YOU THE ANSWERS!!! Could it be much easier?!!!

If this does happen, I predict nothing good coming of it.

And yes, I've definately noticed the trend of No-Code Whiners inability to grasp spelling and grammar - Do we really want people who can't even figure out a spell checker operating HF radio gear?!?!?!!!

I will now step off my soap box and return this forum back to it's regularly scheduled no code whining.  [​IMG]

5. AA5ET

AA5ET Ham Member QRZ Page

KC7JTY Wrote:

"Interesting.....How about the many CW ops who use it because they can't carry lively, real time conversation?
                                                      KC7JTY"

In responding to the above comment I don't think you've spent enough time using CW.  

Almost every time I get on the air it turns into a lively, real-time conversation.  Rarely are my CW QSO's shorter than 30-40 minutes.  CW is just as real time and can be just as lively as voice, only difference being the mode of transmission. Some of the most interesting and intelligent people I've met, I met via morse code.  

I admit that it gets more interesting, rewarding and conversational once the speed reaches 20-30 WPM or more.  Don't knock it until you try it and are good at it.  Like anything good and rewarding, it takes some practice.

Sure, there are times when I don't ragchew, but that's usually during a contest or DX pileup.  Those who say that all CW ops do is exchange the weather and rig info, have never progressed to being fluent in the language of CW.

Marco, W7WIK

6. Guest

Guest Guest

.-- --- .-- .. -.-. .- -. - -... . .-.. .. . ...- . .... --- .-- -- .- -. -.-- .--. --- ... - ... - .... . .-. . .- .-. . --- -. - .... .. ... ... ..- -... .--- . -.-. - .-.-.-

.. - .... .. -. -.- -.-. --- -.. . .. ... --- -.- --..-- -... ..- - -. --- - .- .--. .--. .-. --- .--. .-. .. .- - . ..-. --- .-. -- --- ... - ... .. - ..- .- - .. --- -. ... .-.-.-

See what I mean? I bet 90 % of you ignored this post. I wrote it at 5 WPM, so everyone should be able to read it.

-. ---.. .- .-. -.--

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

Editor's Note:

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote </td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">

Fred Maia, W5YI, is receiving a lot of heat for signing the NCVEC Petition for Rule Making to eliminate the Element 1 Morse code exam requirement for Amateur Radio licenses.

We would like everyone in the amatuer radio community and industry commenting on this issue -- especially those who believe Fred will personally profit from this proposed change --to please note the following information:

First, Fred sold his book distribution business in 2000 to Master Publishing, the folks who publish the Gordon West study manuals.  Books and other educational products are still sold and distributed under the name The W5YI Group, but Fred no longer has any financial or operational interest in the company.

Second, Fred retired his FCC appointed VEC position and no longer has a financial or operational interest in the W5YI-VEC or the commerical licensing, COLEM business, National Radio Examiners. His associate, Larry Pollock, NB5X, is head of the both of those operations.

Fred is a voluntary member of the National Conference of Volunteer Examiner Coordinators (NCVEC) and serves as Chairman of its Rules Committee.  In that capacity, and on behalf of the NCVEC, he filed the Petition for Rule Making.

Pete Trotter, KB9SMG
    Vice President -- The W5YI Group and Master Publishing, Inc.

[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>

8. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder QRZ HQ Staff QRZ Page

We're going to close this topic for now since after 340+ comments, everything that's going to be said has been said, several dozen times over.

-fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.