"NCIS Newington" on Ham Radio Now (not click bait, but close)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KN4AQ, Nov 7, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am not worried how the world sees hams, and I don't see a particular problem with the NCIS episode, either. It was written by TV writers to cover some sort of plot arc. That is what they do, but they are not always totally accurate. The portrayal of the local LEO was bad, too. And the golfers and the landscaping owners, and the veterenarian. But that's what they do, stereotype people. They didn't say ALL hams are losers, but we all know some who are.

But I still don't see the "role model" thing. By mentioning a person, that isn't the same as holding them up as a role model.

2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep. You sure don't.

3. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think anyone else here sees it either, judging by the response you have so far. So, I'm in pretty good company.

4. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

In both these dramas there is a cast member / character whose role contains a model of amateur radio. I'm ambivalent on either representation.

However, IMO neither of them deserves to be the basis of even a frivolous editorial that consumes a valuable position in our most prominent journal. Especially as apparently just a knee-jerk reaction to a few members letters.

In these days of ARRL Board of Director back-room politics, surreptitiously game changing rules of governance and program directions, election tinkering, avoidable law suits, prominent peer censures and candidate disqualifications, does the ARRL CEO really have nothing more important to communicate with us?

73 de John - WØPV

Last edited: Dec 14, 2017
    K7JEM likes this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Gary, the AWRL/QST this month adopted your podcast title to discuss this episode, though they apparently didn't know how to do proper attribution!

6. KN4AQ

KN4AQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I saw it. Well, if he didn't know then, I'm pretty sure he does now.

KC5SAS and KA2CZU like this.