Navigating the Dayton Flea Market

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AC4A, Apr 16, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. AC4A

AC4A Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

For you experienced flea-marketers, I will be looking for some specific pieces of (old) equipment at the Hamvention flea market next month. Is there a place to post WTBs, do I carry a sign listing what I am looking for, or do I do it the hard way by walking the entire flea market? I didn't see anything on the ARRL web site, so I am asking here.

Thanks for any advice!

Dave
    AC4A

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing like a good stroll around the aisles.
    New site, Whole new experience.
    Beware of scooters. They will run you over....
    Dont tell any of the marketiers what you are looking for.
    They will mark up the price according to the amount of drool on your chin while staring glassy eyed at that Unobtainium-MK1A

KC8YLT, K2XT and W7UUU like this.
  3. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

The new development for Dayton, the hamfest isle camper. When you camp out on a fat scooter in an isle and block it, now do it in style! Go in the back and watch TV, have a beverage, eat lunch. Screw those other lesser human beings trying to get by. You are YOU, by God!!!

dayton.jpg

KB9OFM, KA4DPO, K2XT and 5 others like this.
  4. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Geez, Charlie, give it a rest.

AC8UN likes this.
  5. W3WN

Dave,

The best thing to do is walk the aisles and keep your eyes open. If you're travelling with others, ask them to do the same; coordinate on a simplex frequency (NOT 146.52, it tends to be a bit crowded, as you can imagine!)

Many, many moons ago, I was looking for an SB-200. One of my friends spotted one for a REAL good price ($300) for a clean, good looking (no mods) amp; many others had SB-200 & SB-201 amps, either with varying levels of mods, or just grungy looking, for prices starting at $350 and up. Thanks to my friends, I was able to get a real good amp at a real good price; whether I would have found it before someone else snapped it up is debatable, to say the least. (Wish sometimes I still had that amp, but when a layoff forced me to sell off some of the shack, that amp went elsewhere; at least it's in a good home now)

I have seen people walk around with 'WTB' signs. I don't know how successful they've been. But, if I was trying to sell a particular widget, and heard you were looking for it, I might just be tempted to be less than flexible in negotiating price. So it can't hurt, in terms of finding something; but it may be for a higher price than you might otherwise get it.

Do NOT put a price on the sign, if you go that route. If I want $200 for my widget, and see your sign that says you're willing to pay up to $350 for it, the temptation to raise my price is strong. For some of the less scrupulous... well, imagine thinking you got a bargain at $300, and they KNOW they got a deal because they would have settled for $200. In short, don't limit your options.

Good luck, and hope to bump into you browsing the flea market.

6. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Please stop stalking me. It's kind of creepy.

W5BIB likes this.
  7. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

K9ASE and KA4DPO like this.
  8. W3WN

Kinda hard to avoid you. There are very few threads of late that don't contain at least one snarky comment of yours.

W5BIB likes this.
  9. K2XT

K2XT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I wake up here on a beautiful Monday morning, have some coffee, check out the zed. An interesting topic, one of my favorites, the Hamvention flea market.
    But...... after only 8 postings there's bickering going on. I just wonder, could you guys take your insults private and not ruin things for the rest of us? Not fun.

WD0BCT likes this.
  10. KC8YLT

KC8YLT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm planning on going, it will be my first Dayton trip. I might load the truck up and set up at the Flea Market.

K9ASE likes this.