ad: k1jek

Nationwide Mobile BPL Tests Coming!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K6PME, Jan 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K6PME

K6PME Ham Member QRZ Page

Big money business strikes again. The world doesn't exist on right or wrong anymore, only on who you can buy off.

2. k3mic

k3mic Guest

Well, I just went to google and typed in "BPL" to do a search on the subject. Well what i found made me stand up and take notice. There are all kinds of advertising for BPL and it is all aimed at the younger generation, the techno computer group. These are the young people that are not interested in old technology such as the use of Radio communications. They are what is called a wired society and are savvy with the binnary communications. So since these are the group of up coming adults, they are the target of BPL advertisers and supporters. The major players in BPL are the electric companies. They don't have to do a thing but make money from renting their powerlines to the BPL companies. Wow! 100% clear money without lifting a finger, all at the expence of current radio communications which will be made usless from the interferance of BPL. That will mean that homeland security will have a hard time communicating along with police protection, ambulancve service, fire, emergency services, government agencies. Ask you self why many other countries are banning the use of BPL? Maybe because they already know that it is a threat to homeland security. We all need to really take a hard look into this matter and then confront the FCC and let them know that it is not a supported technology that this nation needs. If you don't know what BPL is all about, then research it, but don't get misled or fooled by the advertisers or supporters of BPL. They are not telling the whole story of the impact BPL will have on many of our other communications services. [​IMG]

3. W1RFI

W1RFI Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (ai4cb @ Jan. 09 2004,11:01)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Anyone else notice that several new BPL experimental licenses have been issued by the FCC recently?

File Number 0506-EX-ST-2003. Company is Electric Broadband. They were granted a license by FCC to conduct BPL tests in Cottonwood, Arizona between January 2004 and July 2004 in the frequency range 2.5 to 38 MHz.

File Number 0242-EX-PL-2003. PowerWAN, Inc. Granted a license by FCC to conduct mobile BPL experiments statewide in Nevada for the next two years, from 1.7 to 50 MHZ.

File Number 0050-EX-ML-2003. Ambient Corporation. Granted license by the FCC to conduct mobile BPL experiments NATIONWIDE through August 2005, 1.7 to 88 MHz.

I emphasize that these last two licenses are for MOBILE experiments  and the Ambient license is for NATIONWIDE. In fact they've raised millions of dollars to finance this, too.

I think we should be very concerned about this. It basically means they can move around at will. Seems to me that this will make it almost impossible to pin down any interference that they are causing to hams.  They plug into a powerline somewhere, trash HF for a few hours or a few days, and move on. By the time most Hams have realized that they're being BPLed, the source could have packed up and move somewhere else - so no way to pin them down!.

The other thing that we probably ought to be concerned about is that although the FCC requires the BPL experimenters to file reports every 6 months, the FCC also sometimes allows the licensees to keep these reports SECRET on the pretense of protecting &quot;proprietary technology&quot;!!

So not only are we now faced with the prospect of nationwide hit-and-run BPLing, but the specifics of tests could be secret !![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Just for the record, the hams in Cottonwood are already on board and are seeing what kind of cooperation they can get from the local utility.

These experimental licences are really pretty routine. The FCC had issued several to Ambient on a routine basis, and this nationwide license really is just set up to ease the administrative burden for the FCC. Ambient is NOT doing mobile BPL work; their systems are as fixed as they are anywhere else. In fact, Ambient is the most cooperative of the BPL manufacturers, and I have email or telephone exchanges with them every few weeks. They are the only one of the companies that are trying to address the interference problem head on, by at least admitting that there is one.

Ed Hare, W1RFI

4. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

The fortunate thing about all of this is simply BPL is a white elephant that can't possibly make any money.

They're going to deploy it out right in front of the steamrollers that are cable and DSL. You don't need to be sportin' a Harvard MBA to see the folly in doing that.

Unfortunately, amateurs and many other radio services will have to deal with the mess until it all goes bankrupt.

5. N5CTI

N5CTI Ham Member QRZ Page

By the way, the Manassas BPL test went so &quot;well&quot; that they're going to roll it out to the entire town now. The Washington DC NBC station did a segment on it last night. On a positive note, they included a brief interview with the EC for Prince William County, VA (where Manassas is located) to point out the potential interference issues.

I thought it was Dave when they first showed him sitting in his car, mic in hand, although it was shot from a bit behind him. But then he keyed up and said &quot;KG4GIY...&quot; before the reporter's voiceover started, and I said, &quot;Dave! You're famous!&quot; [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.