ad: Sussex-1

National VOA Museum of Broadcasting to host Ham reception during Dayton Hamvention

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K8CJY, May 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8CJY

K8CJY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The National Voice of America Museum of Broadcasting located at the former VOA Bethany Relay Station will host a ham radio reception on Saturday evening May 21st from 6:30 PM until 9 PM for attendees of the Dayton Hamvention. The museum will be open for tours of the many exhibits including the Gray History of Wireless collection, VOA collection and Cincinnati Media Heritage collection. The West Chester Amateur Radio Club station WC8VOA located in the original VOA control room will also be open for operations.

The museum has a fabulous collection of R.L. Drake equipment spanning from the founding of the company through the end of the amateur radio era. Also on display is the Collins 821A 250KW shortwave transmitter used at the station. It is only 1 of 2 remaining Collins 821's. Many other early and golden age of radio equipment will be on display.

Light snacks will be served during the event. Admission is $5.00

The museum is located south of Dayton off of I-75. Exit the Tylersville Road exit and turn left at the top of the exit ramp. The museum is located about 1 mile east of the exit on the left (north) side of Tylersville Road.

WB9VPG likes this.
  2. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

oops! Contest dinner... :-(

3. AJ4XM

AJ4XM Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Also the FDIM Banquet is Sat night... :-( Too many good things at the same time. Maybe it will be open Sunday after the prize drawing. I think this year is my turn to win the grand prize!
    73, Tom AJ4XM

W0SNG likes this.
  4. K8CJY

Yes, we understand but there are conflicts every evening. Next year we will do the same on Friday night as we have in alternating years.

5. K8CJY

It will be open on Saturday afternoon to the general public from 1 PM to 4 PM but not on Sunday. We tried Sundays in previous years and only got 3 or 4 visitors. I agree with the "too many good things at the same time" comment, but we have had many requests to do a Saturday event, so we are giving it a try.

6. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

It sounds great, sorry am missing it. Good luck!

7. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sounds good, a few others and I will be there for sure.
    Thanks You

8. KW0U

KW0U Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds terrific, but I hope the phrase, "through the end of the amateur radio era" applies just to the company!

9. G8EBM

G8EBM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi

My tenth Dayton Hamvention and have not been able to get to the VOA Museum before. Normally we are at the Collins dinner on Friday and the Flex Dinner on Saturday but the Flex guys have moved theirs to Friday this year so we will be visiting the VOA museum on the Saturday night ! Thanks all the way from the UK Steve G8EBM