ad: wmr-1

National solar obseratory

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WD3N, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And they'd do this at a civilian observatory? Nope.

2. W4NNF

Annnnnd…. Apache Point Observatory, which is nearby is still open.

KL7KN likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The DoD does all kinds of military things using NASA assets and facilities, and has for decades. They have an entire department devoted to integrating with NASA, and that's just one we know about.

Dismissing the possibility is to ignore modern history.

NK2U likes this.
  4. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a video of a guy walking around the site with a camera, he describes the place as a "ghost town", and no one is there. But there were no physical impediments to him entering the compound, and walking around unattended. If there was some sort of environmental issue, there would be hazmat on site and a total lockdown of the facilities, not just a piece of yellow police tape across the entrance.

KB2SMS, KL7KN and KK5JY like this.
  5. W4NNF

I would say that White Sands, which is just down the road, is far more equipped for anything the feds might want to do than a civilian solar research observatory. White Sands has some pretty awesome telescope horsepower on hand, while what's at Sunspot is really only useful for solar observations. White Sands is also secure, while this observatory isn't.

What is my guess? If it doesn't involve a threat to the observatory, the likely answer is that White Sands is involved, as in someone at the observatory conducting espionage on them while working out of the Solar observatory.

6. KK5JY

If the "event" was espionage-related, I suspect any evidence is long-gone. Yellow tape mainly protects a site where evidence can't be moved without disturbing it. E.g., blood on the floor of a murder scene.

The local Sheriff was clear that he saw military/LEO aircraft and technicians working on and around the antenna structures. It's possible that the evidence of whatever happened disappeared quickly into Bureau custody, and the employees are simply awaiting clearance to go back to work. If it was espionage, or something similar, there may simply be too many employees under investigation for them to reactivate the site.

7. KK5JY

Maybe. Maybe not. If such an activity was going on, you have no way of knowing what that activity was, any more than any of the rest of us. Anything is possible.
    Entirely possible. That tracks with what little information is available.

8. W4NNF

I don't discount anything, but if I wanted to do something crazy hush-hush, it would be at White Sands or Groom Lake, not at this little joint. Of course there's always "hide in plain sight," but the parties that might be involved don't much like that idea, I would guess. ;)

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

No need for ignore, it's all good! I just challenge fake news, that's all. Do your research and let us know what you find!

I doubt this has anything to do with the location being a solar observatory, as others are OPEN, and the sun is still in the sky for all to see. I suspect it's where the site is, not what. But that doesn't stop folks from making up stuff.

If it was a dry cleaners that was shut down, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. :D

KI4AX and KB4QAA like this.
  10. KK5JY

If you were a foreign spy, you might answer differently. :D

Something else to keep in mind is compartmentalization. There are significant portions of Groom Lake, for example, that don't exist officially. They aren't even on navigational charts, but the satellite pictures show that they are absolutely there, and active, and growing installations.

Not everybody in the DOD has access to places like that. Joint DOD/Civil programs are common, and they exist at all access levels. A civilian research facility could easily be home of a joint DOD project, especially if its classification level was low enough.

NK2U likes this.