National solar obseratory

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WD3N, Sep 13, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

But some supposed Space Force has nothing to do with this observatory, which has been open to academics (and the public) since forever.

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

The Manhattan Project also came from civil academic work. Just because it's "science" today doesn't say anything about the military's interest tomorrow.

And don't forget that the early US satellite program was publicly described as a 100% science project, being pursued for its benefits during the international geophysical year. The truth was quite different, under the hood, and it was very much a military project with very pronounced implications for warfare. Sure, the "scientists" were allowed to participate and gather real geophysical data, but the top priorities were all military -- espionage, signals intelligence, remote sensing, reconnaissance, etc.

And the Space Force isn't supposed -- they're doing it. Without more information, none of us know what happened up there, or what they saw happening elsewhere.

3. W4ZD

W4ZD Ham Member QRZ Page

Cool video. It led to this one, which I find even cooler. :)

4. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

It is, and I have a solar filter for my 8" Dobsonian, and I can easily take pictures with it. Much like ham radio hobbyists, there are amateur astronomers with all levels of equipment, and if anything interesting happened there would be pictures all over their social media which would send all their astronomer buddies out to to take even more pictures, and so on.

KB2SMS likes this.
  5. KJ4PBW

KJ4PBW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is it near Kirtland AFB? Was reading about nuclear accidents the other day, I recall something about a plane on approach lost a nuke and its conventional mechanisms detonated and scattered heavy metals, not all the chunks were actually found. maybe a radiation detection event was brought to someone's attention? Just guessing here.

6. K7JEM

K7JEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Not even close. Sunspot somewhat overlooks White Sands Missile Range. El Paso is almost line of site also.

7. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

[​IMG]

NL7W and KL7KN like this.
  8. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

WF4W likes this.
  9. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Got the list from the Reddit - and I noted I would be following up. And I posted that had checked the NSO at Kitt peak and in HI.

Still looking into the foreign SO with data steams.

An 'oddball' data source, like Reddit, may just be that - oddball. But these sites can be useful as a starting point as they often aggregate data points/sources from outside of the 'UFO crazies' realm of influence.

I found the reference to multiple SO sites going off-line at the same (approx) time to be unusual, and started looking into it. I also noted the 'official' management folks have ruled out a spill at the site as the reason for closure.

I can see you don't share my curiosity on this reported multiple site shutdown and my followup. That's all good. Please, just put me on Ignore and you won't have any problems with my posts going forward....

have fun.

10. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking for an older gentleman who is a chain smoker, no doubt. I enjoyed the show and the spin off.

WF4W likes this.