ad: ProAudio-1

National society acts over Smart Meter interference

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Feb 20, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

All you need to get warranty service is to prove when you purchased it. Registration is almost never required, and if it is, by law they must tell you that clearly and can’t require lots of other irrelevant demographic information, in the US.

That extra information is voluntary and collected for their own marketing purposes, or to sell, or both. Though they often make it sound like you must fill it all out.

I almost never send in a warranty card (or use the website), unless for some reason I’m especially concerned about being able to prove the purchase date, or am concerned about getting product safety recall information in the future.

BTW, the usual thermal print cash register receipts can fade over time so I make a copy and staple them together before putting in a file.

2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Timely notice. I just tossed a bunch of papers into the recycle bin. The warranty cards were abundant. The receipts were barely recognizable.

3. N5EQY

N5EQY Ham Member QRZ Page

I live in a HOA and the metering system here is "smart" meters. I can go outside with a portable radio and approach within 50 ft or so and the RF noise from the "smart meter" will totally drown out any AM radio station in the area. I find that odd, since all out utilities are underground except the VERY HI voltage transmission line about 3/8 mile from me is really noisy until we have a big rain and it seems to wash the city pollution off the insulators for a short while and things quieten down a bit for a while. I do have a LOT of rf from all the wall warts that power my low voltage ham gear as well as other computer related gadgets in the house.

4. W7SJP

W7SJP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have the same problem. As of about three months ago, all my radios--including the 1938 Spartan 66C6 beside my bed were swamped with some sort of very strong wide-band, modulated noise extending from around 500Khz to around 15Mhz. It seems to occur at variable times on the weekend. It is a constant carrier, carrying some sort of data burst exactly every five seconds.

I live on the top floor of my building and pinpoint traced the source to something either running through my ceiling or possibly on the roof. I can't get access to the roof and the management office is dumber than a bag of rocks, so I have no idea what it is, but it's very nasty. I have been trying to research it on the web and nada.

I see that *most* smart meters operated in the Ghz range, but are there some that don't? DO they have noisy harmonics/fundamentals?

The utility companies these days (cable/electric/phone, etc) don't give a rat's butt about broadcasting noise, and apparently, no one in the government has our backs on these issues.

Anyone have any ideas?

I do have a nice big set of 1000v Klein's and a 50,000,000 volt high freq voltage generator that will permanently take out any electronics in a millisecond. Hmmm...LOL

5. W2DE

W2DE Ham Member QRZ Page

This may start a new challenge !

IE: how many smart meters have you worked ?w2de

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Ham Member QRZ Page

I severely doubt that a warranty would be dependent upon filling in personal information about yourself. That's just the way business's are. They will ask for the sky...you don't have to give them your age, marital status, why you purchased the unit you chose, etc.
    What really bothers me are the discount clubs, or established acoount requests that are essentially personal information mining. If they wish more than my name, address, and phone number to establish an account I pass. Their puny discount after monitoring all my purchases is really not worth sacrificing my privacy over.....and I tell them that.