ad: M2Ant-1

National Radio Society of Ireland (NRSI)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, thanks for the other side of the story.

2. EI2JC

EI2JC Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm interesting....

One of the oldest Amateur Radio Societies in the world vs a new one with secret officers and committee, headed by a relatively newly licensed op.

EI3GYB likes this.
  3. KI4FQZ

KI4FQZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do agree that this "new" organisation seems to be totally unnecessary, as the original organisation has been doing a wonderful job for years. So, what's the pont?
    But I would also like to respond to SMOAOM by saying that the wide spread "CB'r phobia" amongst hams also is really unnecessary. Yes yes, I know, you've seen my license class. But do not be fooled. I am extremely adept at code, and for one, was opposed to removing it from testing. I have recently relocated to Tennessee, bought 11 acres, built a home, and put up a 75 foot tower, and will be acquiring my extra class by next month. Most hams started on CB, and thought enough of themselves to further their education in radio to become hams. But if you think about the expense involved in getting into ham radio, it is that fact that keeps most young people from getting into the hobby. THAT is one of the biggest "shrinks" of ham radio, but no one wants to admit it. It's not like the old days when you could get a decent IF radio worth operating for $350.00 bucks or so. Now, the poor kid gotta spend almost a thousand dollars, just for the radio! So, I kinda get the "ok...wait...I have to spend months learning Morse Code, and all the other requirements, AND THEN spend about fifteen hundred bucks getting on the air?! Maybe I need to rethink that" kind of attitude. It's really tough nowadays. So, welcoming those from "CB land" shouldn't be a bad thing. Just saying.
    73's
    DE....KI4FQZ....Ed

EI3GYB likes this.