ad: M2Ant-1

National Radio Society of Ireland (NRSI)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, Jun 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G4TUT/SK2022

G4TUT/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

We are delighted to announce the recent establishment of the 'National Radio Society of Ireland' (NRSI).

The society has been founded to provide representation for amateur radio operators, shortwave listeners and various other radio enthusiasts.

As such, the society welcomes applications for membership from anyone with an interest in radio-based communications.

For more information, please visit www.nrsi.ie

One of the volunteers in the society membership support team will respond quickly to any requests for information. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/june/national-radio-society-of-ireland.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

K4MWJ likes this.
  2. EI3GYB

EI3GYB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is an amazing development. Ireland has already a national amateur radio society for many decades- the IRTS (Irish Radio Transmitters Society).
    The IRTS is a very successful and very effective society and I see absolutely no reason to start a second national organisation to represent HAMs in Ireland. This would weaken the HAM community in Ireland, which is already shrinking and ageing. Why split a community already under pressure?
    The IRTS has represented us for decades and engaged very constructively with the Irish regulator ComReg for many many years. It was the IRTS which secured all those positive developments for us. It was the IRTS which worked very hard for the benefit of all HAMs in Ireland.
    Setting up a competing organisation is nothing but a step backwards!

73 de Michael/ei3gyb

GM0HSC, GM4JPZ, EI3HQB and 8 others like this.
  3. KD2ZZJ

KD2ZZJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Michael, take a look at the website and see how legitimate that it really is.

No contact details, no idea as to who oversees the organization, over 18's only and the list goes on.

It's obviously a front for some one else, I won't be joining and I urge others to take the same route.

Regards

GM4JPZ, EI4CP, MI0GTA and 2 others like this.
  4. EI3GYB

The whole thing is very secretive. No transparency at all. There is a phone number given- which actually points towards Mullingar. All other "links" do not work. No details either who the 25 officers of the organisation are. The thread "Brief History of Ham Radio" on this organisation's page deliberately leaves out the big role the IRTS played for decades in this country and tries to connect itself to the roots of Ham radio in Ireland.
    As you say...the list goes on...
    I was contacted by someone about 2 weeks ago claiming to run a "new QSL bureau". I refused the offered card and told the person that I only deal with the IRTS bureau.
    Only noticed yesterday that the person running the "new" bureau is actually a member of the current IRTS committee.
    Can you dance at two weddings at the same time ?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    EI4CP, MI0GTA and KG4BFR like this.
  5. EI3GYB

EI4CP, KG4BFR and KD2ZZJ like this.
  6. KB7AA

KB7AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I realize I am not a current resident of Ireland, but was born in central highlands of England, and my mum was born in Roscommon. Have followed the Irish Radio Society some over the years. Have read just now of the "new" society, and not impressed. No contacts, NO specifics...not much of any real contacts. I believe the Irish Radio Society over the years has done a very good job promoting irish hams. I always enjoy my qsos with my bretheren from the Emerald Isle, and wish all the very best. Looking forward to many more Irish QSO's from here in AZ!...de Gerald, KB7AA

EI4CP, EI8JR, EI3GYB and 2 others like this.
  7. MI0GTA

MI0GTA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Won't be long till it falls flat on it's asre as we say here... 73de MI0GTA / EI2IBB

EI2JC and EI3GYB like this.
  8. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Ham Member QRZ Page

What is going on here then? Has the IRTS made any statement regarding this new “Body” I see nothing on their website. Anyway I don’t like the look of it. Please keep us Irish Abroad informed.

EI3GYB likes this.
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears that the NRSI has close ties to EURAO, which in turn is a somewhat "loose-knit" organisation along the lines of the IARU, but aimed to organise the "Ersatz-amateurs" or "thinly spray-painted CB:ers" that have become a sizable fraction of the amateur radio ranks after the Morse requirements went away and the exam standards were lowered.

Experience does however show that such organisations seldom become long-lived, as they tend to split after internal strife.

However, they form a threat to the quality of amateur radio, as the established national societies may act to further dilute the exam requirements trying to keep their membership numbers.

In too many cases, the Authorities have listened to them, as they have lost interest in any quality aspects for amateur radio themselves.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

GM4JPZ, KB7AA and EI3GYB like this.
  10. VE3KG

VE3KG Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's connected to the "People's Front of Judea."

EI9FVB, WA2LOT, EI3HQB and 7 others like this.
  11. DJ0AJ

DJ0AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

congratoulation radio csoceity IRELAND-- vy73 DJOAJ ekrem

K4FMH likes this.
  12. JF1IRQ

JF1IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

私はあなたのコメントを見てあなたのNRSIを理解しました。
    私はそれが認識された組織ではないことを理解しています。
    私はもっと知る必要があります。

JF1IRQ

13. EI4GEB

EI4GEB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Follow the money trail

14. W7UUU

W7UUU Director, QRZ Forums Lifetime Member 133 QRZ HQ Staff Life Member QRZ Page

Google Translation by Moderator:

"I understand your NRSI by looking at your comments.
    I understand it is not a recognized organization.
    I need to know more"

[translation of JF1IRQ - not my words]

Dave
    W7UUU

15. EI6HPB

EI6HPB Ham Member QRZ Page

Email: nationalradiosociety@gmail.com Web: www.nrsi.ie

Public Statement - 21st June 2020

Dear fellow Amateurs and SWL’s,
    We understand some amateurs and SWL’s may be somewhat confused at the need for the
    establishment of a new society within the country, however in our opinion this was sadly
    justified for the long term future of the hobby.

As many of you may have noticed, over the past few weeks the Irish Radio Transmitters Society
    (IRTS) has experienced a dramatic departure of officers from its management.

Unfortunately this final outcome has been a long time coming and the reasons for this are too
    numerous to address in one single page press release. As such, we will endeavor to supply you
    with more information on a weekly basis regarding each of the above via www.nrsi.ie

We strongly believe you will feel like us as more information becomes available.
    Many individuals and clubs over the years have attempted to encourage proposals and
    initiatives through the IRTS for the benefit of the whole amateur radio community. Ultimately
    these members and groups have found themselves disappointed/disillusioned with the lack of
    progress.

The NRSI was recently established by ex-officers and ex-volunteers within the IRTS who have
    dedicated years of their lives to the society only to be left with the opinion that the views of
    much of our amateur community seemed to not be taken onboard. Some of us even tried to
    remain within the society in the hope that we might be able to resolve some of the issues as a
    last attempt.

This was not an easy decision to make, every attempt had been made up to this point to resolve
    these issues through the years. Ultimately however the establishment of the NRSI was deemed
    necessary as the only option for the future development of the hobby in the country.

The committee of the National Radio Society of Ireland has decided to release this initial public
    statement. It was unfortunate that the release of our beta (under development) website occured
    prematurely as a result of a member posting a link on social media. The wording on this website
    was still very much under development and was not meant as a final publication.

We thank each of you for your initial comments and suggestions which many of you supplied by
    email to us. We will be of course taking every one of these onboard going forward over the
    coming days.

Mark EI6HPB
    NRSI President