National Radio Society of Ireland (NRSI)

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Jun 8, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
  1. G4TUT

G4TUT Ham Member QRZ Page

National Radio Society of Ireland (NRSI)

We are delighted to announce the recent establishment of the 'National Radio Society of Ireland' (NRSI).

The society has been founded to provide representation for amateur radio operators, shortwave listeners and various other radio enthusiasts.

As such, the society welcomes applications for membership from anyone with an interest in radio-based communications.

For more information, please visit www.nrsi.ie

One of the volunteers in the society membership support team will respond quickly to any requests for information. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

http://www.southgatearc.org/news/2020/june/national-radio-society-of-ireland.htm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

K4MWJ likes this.
  2. EI3GYB

EI3GYB Ham Member QRZ Page

This is an amazing development. Ireland has already a national amateur radio society for many decades- the IRTS (Irish Radio Transmitters Society).
    The IRTS is a very successful and very effective society and I see absolutely no reason to start a second national organisation to represent HAMs in Ireland. This would weaken the HAM community in Ireland, which is already shrinking and ageing. Why split a community already under pressure?
    The IRTS has represented us for decades and engaged very constructively with the Irish regulator ComReg for many many years. It was the IRTS which secured all those positive developments for us. It was the IRTS which worked very hard for the benefit of all HAMs in Ireland.
    Setting up a competing organisation is nothing but a step backwards!

73 de Michael/ei3gyb

GM0HSC, GM4JPZ, EI3HQB and 8 others like this.
  3. EI2IP

EI2IP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Michael, take a look at the website and see how legitimate that it really is.

No contact details, no idea as to who oversees the organization, over 18's only and the list goes on.

It's obviously a front for some one else, I won't be joining and I urge others to take the same route.

Regards

GM4JPZ, EI4CP, MI0GTA and 2 others like this.
  4. EI3GYB

The whole thing is very secretive. No transparency at all. There is a phone number given- which actually points towards Mullingar. All other "links" do not work. No details either who the 25 officers of the organisation are. The thread "Brief History of Ham Radio" on this organisation's page deliberately leaves out the big role the IRTS played for decades in this country and tries to connect itself to the roots of Ham radio in Ireland.
    As you say...the list goes on...
    I was contacted by someone about 2 weeks ago claiming to run a "new QSL bureau". I refused the offered card and told the person that I only deal with the IRTS bureau.
    Only noticed yesterday that the person running the "new" bureau is actually a member of the current IRTS committee.
    Can you dance at two weddings at the same time ?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
    EI4CP, MI0GTA and KG4BFR like this.
  5. EI3GYB

EI4CP, KG4BFR and EI2IP like this.
  6. KB7AA

KB7AA Ham Member QRZ Page

I realize I am not a current resident of Ireland, but was born in central highlands of England, and my mum was born in Roscommon. Have followed the Irish Radio Society some over the years. Have read just now of the "new" society, and not impressed. No contacts, NO specifics...not much of any real contacts. I believe the Irish Radio Society over the years has done a very good job promoting irish hams. I always enjoy my qsos with my bretheren from the Emerald Isle, and wish all the very best. Looking forward to many more Irish QSO's from here in AZ!...de Gerald, KB7AA

EI4CP, EI8JR, EI3GYB and 2 others like this.
  7. MI0GTA

MI0GTA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Won't be long till it falls flat on it's asre as we say here... 73de MI0GTA / EI2IBB

EI2JC and EI3GYB like this.
  8. 2E0TWD

2E0TWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

What is going on here then? Has the IRTS made any statement regarding this new “Body” I see nothing on their website. Anyway I don’t like the look of it. Please keep us Irish Abroad informed.

EI3GYB likes this.
  9. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

It appears that the NRSI has close ties to EURAO, which in turn is a somewhat "loose-knit" organisation along the lines of the IARU, but aimed to organise the "Ersatz-amateurs" or "thinly spray-painted CB:ers" that have become a sizable fraction of the amateur radio ranks after the Morse requirements went away and the exam standards were lowered.

Experience does however show that such organisations seldom become long-lived, as they tend to split after internal strife.

However, they form a threat to the quality of amateur radio, as the established national societies may act to further dilute the exam requirements trying to keep their membership numbers.

In too many cases, the Authorities have listened to them, as they have lost interest in any quality aspects for amateur radio themselves.

73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

GM4JPZ, KB7AA and EI3GYB like this.
  10. VE9CB

VE9CB Ham Member QRZ Page

I think it's connected to the "People's Front of Judea."

EI9FVB, WA2LOT, EI3HQB and 7 others like this.