ad: HamHats-1

NASA Wallops May 8 Rocket Launch Visible in Eastern United States

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by N1IPU, May 8, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
  1. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO likes this.
  2. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

Curious if this level of ionization will create an opportunity for propagation of 10-6-2 meter signals within and near the coverage area. Hopefully there is enough activity to check on that, especially with higher QRO, gain antennas, using Morse CW, not FT8, since the reflected signal is often very distorted.

This skip-mode occurs often with a high K index and is quite popular in the northern & northeastern states and provinces near and under the aurora "umbrella" of the magnetic north pole. I have great recollections from living in MN of working new grids on 6 & 2m using the "hiss", even out to the east coast > 1200 miles, and which sometimes is strong enough for ghostly garbled SSB contact.

3. N1IPU

No Launch last night but going again tonight at between 8 and 8:43 est. Hopefully someone will get a crack at it. If not will be pretty. I don't have time to get a beam up so here's to those who try.

4. N1IPU

OK, that was cancelled. Trying again tonight.

5. KY4FN

KY4FN Guest

Trying again tonight no sooner than 2005. You'll be able to watch live here: https://video.ibm.com/channel/nasa-tv-wallops

My experience with these exact sounding rockets in the past is that they're hard to see even from ~50 miles away (I used to live in Southern Maryland and would watch from Point Lookout). You might see the green if you're much younger than the typical ham op. Probably won't see the violet colorization at all (even says as much right on their write-up). I'd also be really surprised if a gallon of ionized gas would be enough to make any noticeable difference in propagation, but I'm a pessimist.