ad: M2Ant-1

NASA on HF video

Discussion in 'Videos and Podcasts' started by KA0KA, Jul 20, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KA0KA

KA0KA Ham Member QRZ Page

I wanted to post this video today, it was a uncommon event that NASA was operational on HF during a mission last month. The communication is from Cape Radio, Houston LSO and NASA 928 on 10780 kHz USB. I felt that today would be a nice date to post the short video clip. Perhaps, they will come back to HF one day soon again. If I do capture more communications I will post them on my youtube channel. Viewable at 1080HD received in Fort Collins, CO on 280 foot loop.
    Enjoy!
    ~Tyler, KA0KA

KA0HCP likes this.
  2. VK6YSF

VK6YSF Ham Member QRZ Page

How active are the NASA frequencies and what is the nature of the comms?

Regards
    Peter vk6ysf

3. KA0KA

Peter these are not that common after the ending of the Space Shuttle program. It was rather un-common to capture the link between all three parties on this sample. There are other frequencies listed in the video description on the main upload. This was a mission last month, the sample you heard was the result of a 6 hour recording. I am finding many interesting samples and slowing processing them for viewing. Most are of HF over-the-horizon RADAR and MODEM system including JORN in your Country that is evolving regularly. My recent sample shows a 50 kHz mix of FMOP/FMCW modulation, it was extremely impressive. I currently have 11 waveforms/patterns from the JORN system near you to be uploaded soon...
    ~Tyler, KA0KA

4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

NASA 928 is a WB-57F "Canberra" high altitude research plane, 2:01 on video.

[​IMG]

KA0KA likes this.
  5. KA0KA

Dave K3DCW was able to verify what this was and he was able to pull this data, this is very neat. Now, it looks like there was a drop of some kind as well per the LSO comments in the video, also look at the payload flying from Palmdale, CA.
    Payload Configuration:NRAD - DyNAMITE; LW/RW - Spearpod

https://airbornescience.nasa.gov/flight_reports/WB-57_-_JSC_928_06_23_19

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019