ad: M2Ant-1

NanoVNA a $50-$70 Ham Radio Antenna Analyzer?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KI6NAZ, Dec 10, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks, yes I've used that software, "NanoVNASaver", also and it's a powerful addition.

Often when doing quick bench measurements I find it's easy and fast use the device itself, but I have the larger display model which can actually be read! With the small display I think I would use Saver a lot more.

I also think it's important to know how to use the nVNA by itself because that's how it will be used as an antenna analyzer in most cases.

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Sure, but you can also calibrate out the coax and still use a real screen to see things. :)

3. K5KTF

K5KTF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have tried to use it to tune up a set of WP-639 WACOM 2m cans. Seems to do well, except I cant get the RX-side notch right. It SHOWS to be tuned, but then my little repeater setup still desenses itself.
    I have calibrated both just the nanoVNA and with nVNA-Saver software, and still just couldnt get it right.
    A friend came by with tracking gen/Spectrum analyzer and that did the trick.

If anyone has any tricks for this setup, Im all ears.

Still a neat little toy for $50-ish

4. N1KW

N1KW Ham Member QRZ Page

5. N1KW

N1KW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't know what frequency span you were using but that may have been an issue. The NanoVNA only uses 101 frequency measurement points so details may get lost in wide frequency sweeps. My NanoVNA is very accurate in frequency (within 1 or 2 Hz at 10 MHz at room temperature so I doubt that frequency accuracy is the issue assuming yours is similar. For tuning the filter notch it may be worthwhile to narrow down the sweep just around the desired notch frequency. Because of the somewhat limited dynamic range of the NanoVNA (maybe 40 - 50 dB), you probably won't be able to see the actual depth of the notch (likely on the order of 80 - 100 dB) but you will certainly be able to get the notch centered accurately on the desired frequency. The NanoVNASaver application does have the option for averaging which should extend the measurement dynamic range but I have not yet experimented with that feature.

Yes, the NanoVNA is a great tool at an unbelievable price!!

6. N0TZU

I agree the dynamic range of the NanoVNA isn’t adequate for doing the RX notch of a duplexer. That’s a very demanding measurement compared to things one would typically use it for on the bench.

7. N1KW

N1KW Ham Member QRZ Page

FYI, I had previously only tested my NanoVNA up in the 700 MHz region to see what kind of dynamic range was possible. I just did some testing in some HF bands and also at 2 m. In the HF range I was pleasantly surprised to find that my unit has better than 80 dB dynamic range for transmission S-parameter magnitude measurements and better than 70 dB at 144 MHz! Averaging should extend the dynamic range even further. I'm impressed!!!

N0TZU likes this.
  8. OE3JTB

OE3JTB Ham Member QRZ Page

9. KM4OOD

KM4OOD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There is one for a bit more $ at around 130$ USD that will do up to 1Ghz with a built-in Battery. I ordered this one instead of the one shown as it has more accessories plus the battery.

KG5SFT likes this.
  10. N0TZU

I just saw on groups.io that the final prototype of 3 GHz version 2 is being tested. Seems to work!

11. KG5SFT

KG5SFT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Attached Files:

K7TRF and N0TZU like this.
  12. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Where is it made?

13. VK6FD

VK6FD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I downloaded the NanoVNA Saver software but I could not get laptop to talk to to the Nano. I am using Windows 7, is that likely to be a problem? Do I need to download a USB driver for it?

14. G0HZU

G0HZU QRZ Member

I had a similar issue. I looked in Device Manager and it said that a driver was missing. After some web searching I ended up downloading this zipped up suite of drivers:

en.stsw-stm32102.zip

This has drivers for 32bit and 64bit Win7 and also Win8

Looking back in my browser history I think I got it from here:

https://www.st.com/en/development-tools/stsw-stm32102.html

KE9OL likes this.
  15. VK6FD

VK6FD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for that info, got it working now.
    Cheers

KE9OL likes this.