ad: w5yi

Name for new entry level license

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KC0KVU, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7XF

W7XF Ham Member QRZ Page

OK guys.........enough trucker-flaming already!!

I am a trucker....and a ham. And I know a lot of other truckers that are hams...and its like we DO NOT talk the way a lot of the 1kW to talk across the parking lot rogerbeepechobox (all of which show total LACK of testosterone IMHO). In fact, the 11m rig in my truck is 100% legal (I verified RF output at 3.8W, modulation is 88%, and is spot-on frequency), and I talk on it in quite the same manner as I do on the ham bands. In fact, I, on several occaisions, have actually solicited contacts on 146.520 from 27.185, and have had many the enjoyable NON-COMBATIVE and surprisingly, decent sized round-table conversations from a lot of other trucker-hams. And I do give the FULL frequency, not just 'six-five-two' on CB, therefore allowing the non-ham truckers with scanners to listen in. One thing I do a lot is take my HT into a truckstop with me, and talk on a local repeater (really nice if I can connect to an IRLP/EchoLink repeater) and show how far 300mW can talk...which shocks a lot of people.

Maybe we should be PROMOTING ham radio more, not raking 11m operators over the coals.

73 de K7KWH
    Kevin

2. N0WVA

N0WVA Ham Member QRZ Page

pull string....The CBer says " 10-4 good buddy!".....pull string The lid goes " I own this freekencee"....... pull string....The real ham says " I want to put forth effort and keep learning in this hobby".....

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Truckers??  who mentioned truckers? NOT  I! I think one or two posters may have.. but for the most part the thread has been about having a bit of rather nice satrical fun.

I do recall someone making the link between FRS and the illustrations about radios for the younger set and I made one about how some 2M frequencies in the big cities tend to sound like kiddies are on them.

We DID mention CB (but in relation to the Communicator Band).. and Yes.. the similiarities between the types of radio/accessories we are talking about DO closely match the types you find in the Citizens Radio Service use (at least the LEGAL ones, anyway ;-)  )

But folks like you who are honest, operate properly, and play by the rules are not the ones who need be concerned about this banter.  Just as I'm not offended by folks who pick on the KIDDES on the ham bands, those who play by th erules on other services should not be offended either.

Of course.. if folks like yourself would band together to workon getting rid of the KIDDIES on CB who DO operate illegally and do all those things we are making fun of... well THAT would be a very good thing!

I'm sure there are many truckers who are CB'ers (and probably hams too) who would LOVE to run the riffraff off the 11M band AND also get the invaders out of 10M.  All it takes is a few willing to do something about it.

Would you accept that challenge and get some of your other professional drivers who are CB'ers (and even better if they are hams too) to work that end?  FCC is already looking at invaderson 10M.. maybe working it both ends will help.

anyway.. relax.. you are no where near being the person or people we are 'zinging'. Just relax.. enjoy.. and smile. :)

Now... where's that paper I'm working on..

A letter to Fisher-Price to recommend that they come out with 'Baby's First Radio' like the other poster mentioned!  A GREAT IDEA!  Heck.. can you see the look of joy on a Mom's or Dad's face when, in a group, as others are cooing over their baby.... the baby looks up and raises its arms high, little hands clenching the plastic D-104 (properly sized, of course) and cries loudly..

'TENN FOUR, MAH-MAHH!  BRREEEKKK DAH-DAH!!  BINNNNNGGGGGG'

(and they can give a 'ROGER BURP' at the end&#33[​IMG]

The other poster about babies already doing code.. Hadn't thought about that! 'mamma-dada-mamma-dada
    mamma-mamma-dada-mamma!'  I'll have to listen closely to the next baby I'm near. Maybe they are trying to communicate!!

4. W3SY

W3SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey Kevin! Chill and and have a beer, dood. The truckers are not the target this time. It's the proposed new "Entry Level License" that's drawing fire. If we seem to be raking on toddlers, newborns, the UN-born, and hardcore Chicken Banders, it's because those seem to be the only people who can't pass the PRESENT entry level (Technician) ham test, and NEED an easier test.

Yes, yes -- the new Entry Level ticket -- the solution for which there's no problem.

Haw!

Out.

5. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] remember the old " 100 milliwatt channel 14 cb walkie - talkies " ? they had a morse code key right on the front of the rig, along with the alphabet on morse code and maybe the numbers, too !They would run off 9 - volt batteries, and would almost talk as far as you could see across a field or parking lot...pick up lots of bleedover from all 23/40 channels, no squelch, had the telescoping aluminum antenna that collapsed into the side of the unit.! The push-to-talk part on the circuit board took more room than the rest of the circuitry, had the crystal soldered into the board, a couple of tunable slugs, no ic chips, or pll boards, just plain old simple circuitry, you could put a pencil tip between the individual parts if you needed to . I also remember an old solid state 12 channel SEARS cb that took individual crystals for each channel, you could put a pencil lead in between the individual parts on that circuit board, just colume, squelch, 12 channel tuning, red light for transmit( no mod light), no anl, no ch 9 switch, no rf gain, no roger beep switch, nothing but those 3 controls...ahhh those were the good old days, and the dern thing weighed at least 5 pounds !!! ...but back to the topic on this post,
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. W8FAX

W8FAX Ham Member QRZ Page

Welllll.....there is that feller on the telly commercial who claims he gets Morse messages from his yet to be born child that tells him to run off and get a burger or a wide screen ........HIS lady MUST be a no-coder, as she sez nothing and sits there with that dull blank look on her face sloppin' down a coke.............................................

7. NY7Q

NY7Q Guest

LETS ALL LOBBY FOR CHEERIOS AND WHEATIES TO PROVIDE NEW LICENSES IN THEIR CEREAL BOXES. FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH, THATS WHAT IT IS COMING TO. WHAT A BUNCH OF CRAPOLA LAZY NO GOODS WE NOW HAVE IN HAM RADIO. CW IS HAM RADIO.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KL7FZ @ Aug. 30 2003,10:45)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">[​IMG]

CAPTION &quot;MOMMY! DADDY!! I HEAR BEEPING!!! WHAT DOES IT MEAN!!??&quot;

1) Franklin D. Roosevelt explores radio! The seeds for his famous 'Fireside Chats' are planted!

2) SY/FT/ATX/STH/PU, et al. listening intently to NAA sending code practice!

3) &quot;WOW! BEEPING!!!&quot;

4) The young man learns the fine art of readying himself for Search and Pouncing during a contest![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    The picture that was posted.... The caption might read.

9. K7KBN

K7KBN Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone earlier was commenting on the &quot;super&quot; varieties of coaxial cable.  Anybody ever try THIS stuff?

10. KD4AMG

KD4AMG Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] ...check under the top of your favorite soft drink...one in 10 get a amateur radio licence, the other 9 just get a new 2004 chevy pick up ( gee, which is more valuable with thei new licence ) lol [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.