ad: SDRKits-1

N9MQN Got Me!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by N5OU, May 14, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N5OU

N5OU Ham Member QRZ Page

So I posted an add asking for a very nice TS-940. Went back and forth with someone who represented themselves to be N9MQN John J. Gibbons. He answered all questions and was able to provide exact pictures I asked for.
    I send payment via PayPal (alert signal one) he asked for me to send money to johnjgibbons@outlook.com which was not the address I had been corresponding with. (Major Alert #2) A person named Peter Roth in Singapore claimed the money.
    THEN, I finally check this forum and he is all over it as scamming. Big lesson learned on my part. So I am out my money (I swear paypal is working with him to run this scam,) as they closed the case I opened because he replied to the case that he "would refund the money".
    Now Paypal will not let me do anything, are you serious!

Ouch
    N5OU

2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking at his QRZ account it appears to be unmanaged as it has never been updated by anyone and there is no email address posted. Also he has never made any posts on QRZ. That alone should have stopped you in your tracks. The scammers look for this type of account so they can more easily pose as that person.
    Payment by Paypal isn't a red flag, unless they insist on Friends and Family. In that case you say no and walk away. Since you say you were able to open a case it appears it was actually Goods and Services. Not sure what happened here between you and Paypal but I'd think you could reopen the case if he did not actually send a refund as that's easy enough for them to verify.
    What were the "exact pictures" you requested and he sent? Did you ask for pics with his callsign or just of the radio? If he did send pics showing a callsign they would obviously have been photoshopped, it's usually not too hard to figure that out as most of them are pretty sloppy.

3. KK9W

KK9W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Ol Paypal. I have been scammed by 2 buyers on equipment sold. Once was for a FT-991 I sold and other was a FT-900. Both cases the buyer waited a week or so then filed a "not as described" case. I told paypal I would refund money when product was returned. Never received radios back and Paypal gave them a refund anyways.

I was out the radio . . . The money I sold it for . . . DOUBLE WHAMMY. I have been using Google Pay and it has been working well. With Google Pay you just dispute it like a normal credit card transaction.

4. KA2CDT

KA2CDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Did you pay with friends and family? PayPal would not close out the case especially with this scammer who has been very active.

5. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

We're dying to know if you used Friends and Family?

6. KK6ILV

KK6ILV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear he took your money and Pay Pal wont make good on it, He tried to sell me a Home Patrol scanner last week for $ 300.00. I have to admit I almost pulled the trigger, I looked for problems related to his call sign WOW, Was I surprised. This guy needs to be caught and prosecuted or something else.. Thank you for the information on pay pal not covering you on this, As I always thought I would be covered when using pay pal NOT. Disappointed in Pay Pal !! KK6ILV

7. KN7S

KN7S Senior Swapmeet Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

The N9MQN is closed and has been for quite some time.

8. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

I use two emails when buying and selling. Only those who need to know get my PayPal account info. All other emails go to the email listed on QRZ. Two similar but different emails are not a Major Alert!
    The unmanaged Account is something I would be suspicious of.
    Paying Friends and Family is pure stupidity....

KA2FIR likes this.
  9. N5OU

N5OU Ham Member QRZ Page

No I did not use friends and family, nor would I! Paypal is not being of any help. It is almost like they are enabling or are in cahoots with this guy!

10. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

Then Peter Roth scammed you. Not John Gibbons N9MQN.
    It is mentioned that the person selling items on QRZ is not N9MQN in at least one Scam Report. https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/scam-alert.605065/
    Since Peter Roth took your money, you know it wasn't John Gibbons.
    You decided to check your seller out after you paid... that sux, but it puts the blame on you and Peter Roth... Why blame John?

KA2FIR likes this.