N8TL Call has been Hijacked

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WW0E, Aug 16, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Too late now... You only get a half hour to edit.

Report your post by clicking the 'report' button and ask a moderator to fix it for you.

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

To reiterate: (yet again) - the N8TL account was compromised in May by means of a Phishing scam that the "real" N8TL fell for via email, most likely. The actual account owner has never returned to QRZ to ask why his account is locked. He could be dead, in a "home", who knows - but regardless, the account is now LOCKED. NO ONE trying to use that account to list anything for sale on QRZ will have success, as they simply have ZERO ACCESS to the account, and certainly NOT the "swapmeet" forum.

It seems that the "fake N8TL" is listing on other sites - QTH.com etc. - nothing to do with QRZ.

Anyone being contacted by someone claiming to be N8TL is talking to a scammer by some means OTHER THAN THE QRZ SWAPMEET forum. DO NOT RESPOND TO ANYONE CLAIMING TO BE N8TL

Dave
    W7UUU

N0TZU likes this.
  3. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I see @N8TL did put a disclaimer on his QRZ account stating that his call sign has been compromised. Updated 8/20/19.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

That is correct. The "real" N8TL reached out to Support yesterday and his account has been restored to his control.

HOWEVER - this does not mean that if anyone gets an email from someone claiming to be N8TL with something for sale that it's really N8TL!!! Whoever that scammer is will still be out there trying to scam unwitting buyers.

BE CAREFUL when anyone contacts you with something for sale.

Dave
    W7UUU

5. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

A disclaimer is good but a disclaimer with a published email address is even better. A published email address is still missing on N8TL's qrz page.

6. W7UUU

Regardless, there is no QRZ requirement for that in the rules. It would be nice but not required

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I am aware of that fact and agree that it should be required.

8. S56JHL

S56JHL Ham Member QRZ Page

Today I was contacted per email by the guy named "Dale Keller". I posted a "Wanted" ad for MFJ 1788 and he replied that he´s selling one for 200$ (really cheap).

He cropped photos from an old WA5QWQ ad so that his callsign was not visible when I asked for actual photos from the antenna.

He stated that he only accepts USPS money order (no PayPal, no other means) and guess what.. the address was:
    Sue Vanvelkinburgh
    81003 Colorado

He used an email that looks like "ac0stXXXX" at gmail which hints on the real call sign AC0ST from Dale Keller.

Please be aware as it looks like this scam is still going on!

9. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

"Sue" is handling transactions for both "N8TL" and "AC0ST"? o_O

10. W7UUU

Pretty sure all of these "ever repeating scams" are something along the lines of a syndicate - a bunch of crooks working as a team. Most likely all tied to some Nigerian boiler room scam operation.

Amazing - this is how these folks "earn" their living in this life.

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR likes this.