N7ESU call being used by a Scammer

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W6PCY, Sep 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

They do! Back in May, some scammer sent out a VERY believable email apparently to a fair number of QRZ members to "verify their accounts"

I never saw the email that was sent - but I'm guessing it was very very "real looking" because the flood of hacked accounts then listing non-existent stuff for sale skyrocketed. It didn't matter how "strong" your password was if you just handed it over to a scammer.

Mid/late May and all through June, we were FLOODED with scam alerts about scammer ads - mostly coming from Nigeria - and it was pretty crazy dealing with them, banning accounts that were taken over, deleted fake ads...

The ID Verified policy beginning July 1 ended all that.

And it's not likely to return - unless ID Verified members fall for it ... again...

So the moral? QRZ WILL NEVER EMAIL YOU ASKING FOR YOUR USERNAME AND PASSWORD. EVER

Do not EVER respond to an email like that

Dave
    W7UUU

AJ4GQ likes this.
  2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Malwarebytes-Premium.

N7ESU, AJ4GQ and KA2FIR like this.
  3. N7ESU

N7ESU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No I didn't fall for any of those "verify" or clink on any links to anywhere. I get those in e-mails at work and I just delete and I never open them.

WR2E likes this.
  4. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I get emails from what looks like Paypal and eBay telling me I need to click the link to update my info. I have never clicked on one but i am sure that they are scams. If not those two companies are not good at all at keeping records if they have to ask their customers to up date their accounts so offend! I very very rarely click on a link in an email. I would never click on a link from some company no matter how repeatable the company is. Sometimes I don't even click on a link in here. It all stems from many many years ago when I was young and stupid and it left me with a mess to clean up. I only ever want to do that once in my life. So anyone that has never done it yet. Take it from me and only do it if your mother sends a link and then I would have to think twice because it was so bad.
    I hope that helps some one to never do that.

John, WB0MPB

5. N7ESU

I don't and never had...

6. N7ESU

I use the free malwarebytes not the premium. It appears to work good compare to some others. My brother-in-law works for Honeywell in calif and he swears by it.

7. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since its blocking that ruqrz.com site I can't tell if its due to something (a link) on your page that went rogue. Wouldn't hurt to do some deeper investigating. It could potentially be affecting anyone who looks at your page without adequate protection.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  8. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

@N7ESU

Google reports RUQRZ as being 'safe'.[/QUOTE]
    I wouldn't bet on it.

9. AJ4GQ

Good stuff!

10. AJ4GQ

Well, how did the scammer get your QRZ password?

W7UUU likes this.