ad: UR5CDX-1

N7DRM

Discussion in 'Ham to Ham References' started by K2HJB, Feb 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K2HJB

K2HJB Ham Member QRZ Page

On Jan 3rd I sent payment for a Icom V-8000 radio to N7DRM. On Jan 12 I heard from N7DRM that payment was recieved and the radio would be shipped out. On Jan 17 I receieved an e-mail that the radio was stolen and my Postal Money order would be returned. Feb.1st is here and no money order recieved. Does anyone know this person or can contact him as my e-mails are now going unanswered. Any help would be appreciated. 73's Hank K2HJB

2. N3MVF

N3MVF Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't know him, but mail fraud charges are federal and they'll get you an answer.

Best of luck

Greg

3. KC8VLQ

KC8VLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG] Apparently, I too have been scammed by this guy.  Here are the facts:  1.) David Mobley (N7DRM) advertised a new ICOM V8000 radio on the QRZ swapmeet.  2.) I emailed him and asked for his phone number.  3.)  He replied with his phone number; we talked and he agreed to take Paypal as a payment method.  Payment was posted on Saturday, David said he would send the radio Monday and send me the tracking number. 4.) Monday comes, no email.  5.) I email him to find out what's up.  He said he was called out on an unexpected business trip and would send radio and tracking information on Wednesday.  5.) Wednesday comes, no email.  Wait till Friday.  Find out about this Ham to Ham reference forum... search for N7DRM, see that I'm not the first victim.  6.) Email David and tell him I'm not going to wait around for a radio that isn't going to come. Return my money.  7.) File a complaint with Paypal.  8.) Fraud charges pending.  Don't deal with this guy !!!
    I am a new ham (2 months) and this has been a rude introduction to the hobby.  Will not buy through QRZ again.  They have not responded to my email where I ask for help clearing this up.  Irresponsible... if they are going to be a venue for the swapmeet, they should do a better job screening sellers.

4. KC8KZY

KC8KZY Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC8VLQ @ Feb. 18 2003,18:30)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE"> Will not buy through QRZ again.  They have not responded to my email where I ask for help clearing this up.  Irresponsible... if they are going to be a venue for the swapmeet, they should do a better job screening sellers.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    Would you go to a hamfest and file a complaint against the club running it becuase you got a bad deal?  QRZ is not the responsible party here, N7DRM is.  Please don't stop dealing on QRZ because of one or two bad apples.  These guys need to be dealt with, but it is ultimately up to us to decide whether or not to make the deal, and to investigate the seller/buyer, not QRZ.

IMO
    Tom /KC8KZY

5. W5KRM

W5KRM Guest

Hank,

Sorry to hear of your loss. I too have been ripped off by an amateur, in my case, KC7CYA.

I have asked repeatedly that a spreadsheet listing or some sort of database be established to retain callsigns, alias, etc., so that when someone wants to see if there is any reports out on an individual being a scam and ripp off artist, they can readily find something (if something exists).

Ham to Ham References are okay, but it is still a bit cumbersome. On other websites, the data drops off after a while and that is when some of these low lifes resurface. There needs to be some serious interest by many of these swap board websites to maintain a database on these individuals to prevent situations like this from happening.

I don't hold QRZ.COM accountable as you do, but I honestly think that not enough effort is being implemented to help prevent these things from happening. One thing that might help is to ban/block these individuals from posting on the site. At least it is something.

It seems the list of low lifes is continually growing week to week. I suppose it is a sign of a weak economy or something. More like, low morals if you ask me, and a general lack of character.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I too filed compliants, one with the IFCC and one with an internet fraud site against KC7CYA for the crap he sold me as being operational and functional.

Personal note: I recently sold a local an amplifier that I had, and he found the tubes had gone soft. Hadn't used the thing in about 2 years. I gave him a new matched pair set, wouldn't take his money until he was certain it was an okay transaction. All went well and he was very appreciative of my patience in receiving the money. I stand behind what I sell, else I take it back. This is something others should be doing.

GL and hope you get your money back!
    [​IMG]

6. KC8VLQ

KC8VLQ Ham Member QRZ Page

In response to KC8KZY: Yes I would file a complaint with the club or organization that held the hamfest. Remember, we are dealing with FRAUD here, not just a bad deal. I would want the organization to know that there is a scammer setting up tables at their show !!!

7. N4SMB

N4SMB Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (W5KRM @ Feb. 19 2003,06:17)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">I stand behind what I sell, else I take it back.  This is something others should be doing.[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    I agree. I have sold items to several hams via QRZ, and have made it perfectly clear that if they are not happy with their purchase, notify me ASAP and we'll arrange for the equipment to be returned and a prompt refund issued. To date, no one has asked for a refund. Everyone I've dealt with has e-mailed me to tell me they were pleased with the equipment I sold them.

I've been fortunate to deal with some outstanding hams, truly good people. Despite the ripoff artists that are reported here, I still believe that the &quot;good guys&quot; are in the majority.

Again, I agree. If I sell equipment to someone, my top priority is to make sure they are happy. If not, I will gladly invite them to return the equipment for a refund. It's just the right thing to do.

steve/kf4qvv

8. KC8KZY

KC8KZY Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (KC8VLQ @ Feb. 19 2003,08:31)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">In response to KC8KZY:  Yes I would file a complaint with the club or organization that held the hamfest.  Remember, we are dealing with FRAUD here, not just a bad deal.  I would want the organization to know that there is a scammer setting up tables at their show !!![/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    There is a HUGE difference between making someone aware of fraudulant activity, and holding them responsible for it. I may not have made that clear on my last post, when I mentioned that hamfest complaint. It is perfectly acceptable to make the group aware of a scammer or someone selling illegal equipment. QRZ has the information on this guy, and may prevent him from making posts in the swapmeet area, but beyond that, it's not their problem.

Tom KC8KZY

9. K2HJB

K2HJB Ham Member QRZ Page

N7DRM UPDATE:
      I have been in contact with the Police in N7DRM's town and they paid him a visit. It seems the radio is there as they saw it. He did cash the postal money order too. So much for his story about being robbed. If you have been scammed by this guy call the McMinnville police at 503-434-7319 and report him. I intend to file a criminal complaint for theft against him via mail. I don't hold QRZ responsible in any way. We all take a chance but to be robbed by a fellow ham, it hurts. In September of 2002 I ran a special event station W2WTC to honor the hams  and 37 of my fellow Port Authority Police Officers killed on 9/11. N7DRM knew this and it makes it especially hard to know he robbed not only a fellow ham but a World Trade Center survivor/rescue worker. I look at things in a new waysince then and if he needs the $145 that bad, he'll have to live with himself. 73's Hank K2HJB

10. N4SMB

N4SMB Ham Member QRZ Page

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (k2hjb @ Feb. 20 2003,19:05)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">N7DRM UPDATE:
      I have been in contact with the Police in N7DRM's town and they paid him a visit. It seems the radio is there as they saw it. He did cash the postal money order too. So much for his story about being robbed.

&lt;snipped for brevity&gt;

73's Hank K2HJB[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
    This is good.  I'm glad to hear the police paid him a visit and verified he's a thief.  I sure hope the police will be able to bring criminal charges against him.

I hope to see much more of this police involvement in the future. Hopefully, the crooks will get the message that they are not safe simply because they are in distant cities.

I encourage anyone who's been ripped-off to aggressively pursue reports to law enforcement agencies.  It would be a good thing if the crooks are dragged into court to face the judge.

steve/kf4qvv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.