ad: M2Ant-1

N6VUK

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WA6JFK, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N9ATV

N9ATV Ham Member QRZ Page

I also got taken. No email response after the tracking number came. I had a bad feeling from the start so I called PayPal 3 days after I paid for the item and was assured I was fully covered and to wait 7 days before filing a dispute, but the email I received from PayPal concerning claim didn't give me a good feeling as far as recovering my funds. Like the rest of you I hope they come through.

I have some info on N6VUK and don't think it is him. I am pretty sure someone is using his callsign.

2. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

3. N0AKF

N0AKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I actually bought mine from him on qth dot com

4. N0AKF

N0AKF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ah not another!!!!!!!!! I am hoping Paypal will take care of us as they claim. Please let us know how you come out. I will let you know too. The ad I answered was from qth dot com.

5. K4JXZ

K4JXZ Guest

As a follow-up to our earlier phone conversation, I just received the following email from the real N6VUK, which I believe he would like for all of you to see:

Hi Jared,

I found the thread you spoke of on QRZ but cannot log on. I never had an account that I know of, so the scammer must have made one. I enameled the Administrator again. Please feel free to share our conversation with others. For example WA6JFK also is a victims. It is frustrating not to be able to get on QRZ and to see my call being stigmatized. It is a great lesson for me to get active again. Please do not share my email, I am afraid to give the scammer any more info on me than what he has. Hopefully PayPal will make good on this. If not let me know so my wife and our family and friends will not use them any more.

Don
    N6VUK

6. KF6ABU

KF6ABU Ham Member QRZ Page

That's why people use paypal, it's sopposed to be safe in that way. Please do let us know if you get your money refunded so others can know if paypal is still a good way of doing business or not.

7. WA3LKN

WA3LKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Agreed: This will be a good test of Paypal's claims.

8. KJ6KMT

KJ6KMT Guest

Sorry to heard about this.

Shouldn't the Seller's Paypal physical address match the FCC address???

9. K4JXZ

K4JXZ Guest

I have a few things that I would like to add:

1. The scam ad that I got suckered by was on QTH classifieds, not QRZ. The scammer pulled all of his ads pretty quickly, but I was able to find a Google cached copy of one of his scam ads... not the exact one that I responded to, but very similar. It can be seen here.

2. I have been a PayPal customer for about ten years and have never had to open a claim before (I've never been scammed before!). The information that PayPal's Resolution Center has provided me thus far indicates that I am now in a waiting period. Before PayPal will take further action, they are giving the scammer until February 19 to respond to their inquiries. I'm sure that this is standard procedure, but I feel that in this case things can be sped up since this is now a very obvious scam. I'm going to call them to discuss the matter.

3. I hope to see the other victims who are also working with PayPal for resolution to keep the rest of us posted in this thread. I certainly will. We're all in this together, after all.

10. K4JXZ

K4JXZ Guest

I've been a PayPal customer for over ten years and have made $10,000+ in transactions (both buying and selling) through them. With the exception of this one incident, I have used PayPal exclusively for eBay transactions, and I have never had any trouble with them nor have I ever even had to open a dispute/claim. I knew very little about their claims process and their website provides limited information. I feared that I might be screwed since this was not an eBay transaction

I managed to get a PayPal rep on the phone last night to discuss my claim. I was told that they are legally obligated to give the scammer 10 days (from the day I opened the claim, 02/09/2013) to respond to their inquiries -- that is, to either refund my money or provide proof that the merchandise I purchased is, in fact, coming to me. I told the rep that there were countless victims, that I am in communication with the actual human being whose identity the scammer has assumed, and that he most certainly is not going to be heard from again by anyone. Though I knew that it was futile, I asked if the 10-day wait can be reduced. Of course it cannot be.

THE GOOD NEWS is that despite this having not been an eBay transaction, I was assured that I am covered. The rep told me that within 24 hours of the scammer's deadline (02/19), PayPal will eat the loss and refund every penny right back into my checking account. He also said that an effort will then be made to positively identify the scammer, ban him from PayPal for life, and possibly initiate legal action.

I feel more at ease about this now. But I certainly won't be relieved until I see that $599.31 land back in my checking account.

So, hang in there, fellow victims. It looks like they're probably going to bail us out.

P.S. I still need a dang radio!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.