n1mm

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KG5WKO, Oct 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah! That explains it. You aren't keying the MFJ-495 using N1MM--you are keying it with your paddles only. I used the MFJ-495 for several years (great keyer!) and keyed it using only paddles for those years. For contests, I programmed up the memories in the MFJ-495 but it's not as ergonomic as a fully integrating a keyer with a contest logging program--having to move my hands off the keyboard to the buttons on the MF-495 and back slowed things down quite a bit. The MFJ-495 can be keyed by sending ASCII characters through its serial port but N1MM does not have the capability to send ASCII characters to a keyer. N1MM only has the "WinKeyer protocol" available to send to a keyer.

I was kind of surprised to learn this (the hard way) because you'd think it would be easier to implement a simple ASCII output from N1MM rather than the "WinKeyer protocol." (why not both?)

N4UP likes this.
  2. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes. I have been using the MFJ-495 for six years now. I used to use it with the programmed function keys on the keyer itself and also with the MFJ-495 remote. But those function keys became sticky. Not physically, but electronically. Don't know how to fix that. So that is why I moved on to using N1MM+ for keying, and I like it much much better. Now I just use the MFJ-495 for manual sending so I don't need the function keys.

But. Before I got the Microham Microkeyer II, some years ago I had some sort of USB-serial cable ( made by W1GEE ) that enabled N1MM+ to feed my radio's key jack. So it can be done, unless that cable has a built-in Winkeyer ... :eek:

K9YC has some hints on how to do this ... I am guessing that Winkey is a popular "simple inverter" with bells and whistles.

Bongo_0110.jpg Bongo_0111.jpg Bongo_0112.jpg

Last edited: Nov 7, 2019