n1mm

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KG5WKO, Oct 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KG5WKO

KG5WKO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am deciding on logging software. OK reviews on eham for n1mm stop after 2018. Is this software going out of favor? If so why? I did not like HRD and need basic logging and up load to LOTW. Have an FT857D and basic inverted vees . Cost is an issue so 100 dollar programs not happening until after Christmas 2019.

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

It's so good, it no longer needs any reviews. I just switched to N1MM a few months ago. The only issue I had with it is it only works with WinKeyer. If it worked with the MFJ-495 keyer, I would not have had to buy a WinKeyer. So I had to buy a WinKeyer. So now I have no problem with it.

K0UO likes this.
  3. KG5WKO

KG5WKO Ham Member QRZ Page

If i am running straight key why I need winkey? New term to me.

4. W5UAA

"Running" in a contest with a WinKeyer (and N1MM) automates the CW going out. (F1: CQ F2: Exchange F3: TU)

You don't need a WinKeyer to use N1MM, WinKeyer just speeds things up when you enter into Obsessive Compulsive Behavior mode when contesting.

5. K2QB

K2QB Ham Members QRZ Page

N1MM+ is primarily a contesting program an not an everyday logging program. If you are looking for an everyday logging program take a look at Logger32. It is free and does everything you should need in a logging program.

6. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been using N1MM+ for many years for both contest and casual QSO entry. No Winkeyer needed, just the MFJ-495 keyer connected to my Begali paddle. All the programmable function keys on N1MM+ work just fine.

I have N1MM+ output ADI files which I send to HRD which uploads to LoTW. Don't need HRD to do that, but I use HRD as a front end for my panadapter and other software and I use HRD to maintain all my ADI logs ( various call signs, various locations, etc. ).

Logging software is mostly about what appeals to you. I have tried them all. Some I like, most I don't. None are perfect. I like N1MM+ and HRD. Some people prefer other software.

7. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've learned to be wary of "free" apps. I've tried them. Beware of very poor user support which can suddenly evolve into no user support. With regard to loggers you will probably require additional capabilities some time in the future so you want a logger that evolves with the times.

I chose N3FJP and been very pleased with it. Yes it cost money but if you take the time to look at the history of updates you realize this is a living logger with extensive background. I never thought I would require any contest logs, however, as I needed them they were available for free. Up and down loading to and fro LOTW and connection to QRZ are reliable.

This logger was so good that I actually decided to jettison my MAC from the shack and go Windows. Simplicity and power stood head and shoulders above any MAC loggers I've tried.

K0UO likes this.
  8. W5UAA

????????

Can you give me the configuration settings that make that work? (configurer, tab, etc...)

9. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, I can.

My radio has two "key" inputs. I have the paddle connected to the MFJ-495 and the MFJ-495 connected to the radio's rear key input. Of course using a paddle with MFJ-495 and a radio is a simple hardware connection. No software or computer needed for that.

So the configuration settings are only for having N1MM+ do the sending. The front "key" input is connected to my digital interface ( Microham Microleyer II ) which does have Winkeyer built in. I didn't think the internal Winkeyer was being used, but when I checked all the settings it turns out N1MM+ uses COM21 for CW and the Microham Router uses COM21 for Winkeyer. The digital interface can also use COM17 for CW independently of Winkeyer, and I just tested it, and it works ( which is why I didn't think Winkeyer was involved ). I knew the interface also has a key input, which is for the built in Winkeyer, but I don't have a key connected to it. I do have a keypad connected to the interface, and that can also be used to send CW, but I use N1MM+ instead because it is more contest friendly.

So, bottom line is, it looks like my digital interface has a built-in Winkeyer that enables N1MM+ to do its thing.

1 Hardware.png 2 Function Keys.png 3 Device Router Ports.png

10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

N1MM+ is the preferred logger for contests. It might be overkill for casual use but it's free so you don't pay for all those extra features if you don't use them. And it's still free if you do.