N1MM and IC-7000 CW, ptt but no cw out.

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by SV2EVS, May 3, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. SV2EVS

SV2EVS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi everyone,

I got the IC-7000 cat cable and i also have the n1mm logger and i want them both to work on cw contests...

Is there something wrong that i dont get on the setup, because i see the ptt work, but no cw is going out...do i need a 2nd cable ? I saw a video that says so...

73 de sv2evs

2. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

The CI-V cable is used only for rig control. I have an IC7410 and to do CW, I added a dual RS232 serial card (but you can use a USB-to-serial adapter) with a very simple interface using a single transistor and resistor build "dead bug" on the back of a DB9 connector. The other end just goes to a standard ΒΌ" phone plug.

The design for the interface can be found here: http://www.aa5au.com/rtty/fsk-interface/

And please, no comments on my soldering skills!

Attached Files:

3. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

For PTT and CW interface, I used a dual optoisolator IC
    IIRC, I used a PS2505-2 (I had LOTS on-hand):
    [​IMG]
    (click for larger image)
    The advantage is, no ground loops are created.

vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

4. SV2EVS

So to send cw, i need that interface as well ? Thats odd, i always had in mind that this was made by one cable only....:(

5. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

For your intended purpose, there should be no need for an extra cable.

You only need another cable if you are trying to key your rig from a external application on a PC. The IC-7000 has a built in keyer and keyer memory that can be accessed from the front panel push button switches (F-1 - F-4). The memories even include the use of a self-incrementing contest number.

Page 45 of the manual is the start of the keyer and keyer memory setup. It is a rather complicated setup, so you just need to take it slowly. When you are done you should be able to use the F-1 - F-4 buttons to transmit the contents of the memories. It may be that you just missed one of the setup operations.

You can also attach dual paddles to the front microphone connector (RJ-45), for manual sending.

6. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

For computer-generated CW, you will need something else.

There are various options for direct-keying the 7000 via a serial port, but most N1MM users recommend getting a WinKey interface for smoother code.

WinKey kits are available from K1EL. Commercially-assembled interfaces are available from several sources, including Microham and G4ZLP.

7. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

I am an N1MM+ user and I do NOT recommend a WinKey interface. Its not that I have anything against WinKey, but with the "interface" I posted above, my CW is smooth as silk! If you don't want to "roll your own" interface on the back of a DB9 connector like I did, you can buy a USB to CW cable from Amazon, eBay or probably any number of other sources.

For example: http://www.amazon.com/U-CW-6-5mm-Cable-Morse-Radio/dp/B00EZIAESQ. $9.03.... shipping included!

8. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

Having a separate interface to control the T/R input means you don't need to rely on your rig's semiautomatic (VOX) circuit. Your logger can do that directly. As well, your logger can wait a controlled time until after PTT is output, and then start to send CW. That allows a linear amplifier to be online before Morse is sent. My interface used a dual optoisolator IC that prevents any ground loops from happening. Even if you don't have a PTT output, breaking ground loops is a good thing.

I recently started using my WinKeyer USB (link). Now, it does the interfacing between my PC and rig. It has TWO sets of PTT + Morse outputs, so I can run SO2R (Single Operator Two Radio) if I so desire. All outputs use optoisolators. The interfaces are simple RCA jacks.

Other VERY nice things about the WinKeyer USB...

• The keyer only receives an ASCII "dump" and it creates the Morse. The PC no longer can corrupt the Morse output because the keyer creates the Morse.
    • The keyer & PC now communicate about the speed. They are now ALWAYS at the same speed. If I change the speed on one, the other follows
    • The keyer pulls very little current, and will last a LONG time on three AAA cells. When connected to a PC USB port, the batteries are not used
    • The keyer is a fine memory keyer by itself, with all parameters adjustable.
    vy 73,
    Bryan WA7PRC

9. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There was a thread on the N1MM+ reflector awhile back on serial vs WinKey, The impression I had from that discussion was that serial keying is OK as long as the computer isn't taxed too badly. If you multitask or use all of the logger's bells and whistles on a less powerful PC, the risk of erratic/choppy code increases.

Whereas with a WinKey...it just works.

However, having said that...I wasn't aware of USB gadgets like the one you linked to were out there commercially....so thanks for pointing it out. I assume from the price it had a Prolific chip, in which case I wonder how hard it would be to retrofit it with a FTDI chip.

10. SV2EVS

N0IU thanks for the link. So now i need to get an extra cable to send cw...i did read the manual K7MEM when i got my rig and i didn't think that i whould use this feature, but it seems that for now it might do the job temporaly before i get this cable. I just want to get ready for the CW contest this month...