Myths Regarding Electro-Magnetic Pulse

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2NH, Feb 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure why they used that example but lower yield fission only devices produce high enough EMP surges to cover roughly a third of the US.

What is interesting is that at one time the US had nuclear anti-aircraft and anti-ballistic missile systems placed around the country. If attacked we would have EMPed ourselves. Which I guess is better than the alternative.

2. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm buying up all the aluminum foil I can get my hands on and then selling it for 10x what I paid. Yeah it's gouging but who can report me when all the electronics are fried! :confused:

3. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of myths indeed

"Your car/truck/whatever will get fried by an EMP event....

auto gets hit multiple times - at over 1M volts. Car starts and drives away.

I think I'll worry about taxes or sumpin....

K5RCD, N0TZU and WZ7U like this.
  4. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No. They had very small warheads, circa 2 kilotons.

5. K3KIC

They still produce EMPs. Just a small footprint.

6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, but the thought was it would be better for a city to experience some minor electronic damage from a kiloton range explosion than be erased by a multi-megaton one. ;) Sprint would detonate low enough in the atmosphere that the range of any EMP effects would be small.

7. K3KIC

That's a different surge profile than the E1 surge. US government tests in the 80s most of the cars exposed to 50kV/m E1 surge most had no issues, some stalled out but would restart. These were not checked for latent defects. The Russians found out about EMPs from nuclear blasts when they set a nuke off above their territory. They had a lot of latent defects in vehicles and equipment.

There is an argument that modern vehicles have more devices and those devices have much lower junction breakdown voltages. So in theory they could be more susceptible. On the other hand products today have a lot more surge protection built in and designs go through a lot more surge testing. I know my products have much better surge protection and when I test well beyond the specified levels/cycles they hold up amazingly well.

I don't worry about NEMPs. They are very, very low probability. But the engineering analysis leads to better understanding of resilience of equipment which can be applied to lightening surges. Something products I develop are exposed to.

8. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Which is why you stay inside a vehicle during a lightning storm, and why there aren’t dozens of disabled vehicles on the road every time there’s a nearby lightning strike.

9. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not significant.