ad: AbAuRe-1

Myths Regarding Electro-Magnetic Pulse

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2NH, Feb 19, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: fear mongerers Yes ... like HAARP (was quite in vogue a few years back) ... not to hijack the thread, but, that cottage industry covers other subjects like contrails today under the cover of "geo-engineering" ...

N0TZU likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This. It's actually one of the huge disadvantages to using EMP as a weapon. It's just not a practical tool, in anyone's arsenal.
    Also, if people would actually read that analysis, it points out that the device needed to do widespread damage is enormous. There aren't any such devices in inventory in 2019, and the technology and resources required to build one is beyond the abilities of just about everyone except the few very largest countries on earth. And in those few cases, see the comment above about the main disadvantage to using EMP in the first place.

K3KIC and N0TZU like this.
  3. K4PIH

K4PIH Ham Member QRZ Page

EMP, the new Y2K

4. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I know a guy nearby who installed a big bank of solar panels out behind his house. He said he got them in case terrorists or hostile countries destroyed the electric grid.

5. KK5JY

I added a few panels behind my house, as well, but it was for the purpose of having basic power when the local power provider can't keep the lights on. :rolleyes: As in many places in the country, the infrastructure out here is rotting... literally. :eek:
    Except there's no "due date."

6. K3KIC

K3KIC Ham Member QRZ Page

There are situations one could imagine where it would be useful. If it was a conflict between the large actors, say US and Russia, it would likely be followed up by targeted conventional attacks.

The device doesn't need to be that large if it's optimized for the job.

There are at least five countries likely to have such weapons and two more that could.

I don't consider an NEMP attack to be any more likely than a conventional nuclear attack.

7. KK5JY

Well, the reference device in the ARRL study was 10MT, and even at that yield, it had to be 300mi above the surface before it had coast-to-coast coverage.

10MT in 2019 is a huge weapon. The large-ish devices in 1st-world arsenals today are closer to 1MT.

8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Not likely without a lovers spat happening first....:D

9. N5AL

N5AL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I think an EMP broke my Mayan calendar. :(

K2CAJ likes this.
  10. W7ASA

W7ASA Ham Member QRZ Page

The PANIC FOR PROFIT 'cottage industry' has been huge for a very long time. I've actually watched a guy at a ham club meeting who was the appointed speaker proclaiming that an EMP would "fry all electronics" , stop all cars & etc... while having a picture of Hawaii with the Starfish Prime fireball in the background. He used this picture of (Honolulu ?) with the fireball clearly seen in the sky as a backdrop while talking about how it destroyed the power grid in Hawaii & etc...

He seemed a bit miffed when I pointed at his backdrop of the EMP experiment with a VERY large yield, and mentioned that in his picture - the lights were definitely ON and traffic was moving. Because I had previously scoured on-line news archives from that time period, and there were no reported incidents of shipping and aircraft in the EMP effected region falling out of the sky or going adrift... I mentioned that such incidents were entirely missing; this is Hawaii - a BIG tourist destination and trans-Pacific route. The air and water were filled with ships and planes. He was not happy...

Then there was the guy selling aluminum briefcases to protect valuable electronics while on business trips. He declared that they fully protect from EMP, CME and Gamma radiation... the basic one was just under $1000. such a deal ;-)

I decided to make my house payment instead of buying one...

73 de Ray ..._ ._

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    N2NH, N0TZU and W4NNF like this.