Mystery Cushcraft 2-m Antenna

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by W5SRO, Nov 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5SRO

W5SRO Ham Member QRZ Page

The assembled antenna looks like, e.g, the A148-20T since it has an 11 foot boom. However, the element spacing is 14" and the vertical and horizontal elements have the "vert." measurements of the A147-20T (40" refl, 37-7/8" driven, and so on to the end director of 35 1/8". What model is it? I suppose I should leave well enough alone since it tunes well at 10 ft off the ground with the MFJ-247C.

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No pictures of it?

3. W5SRO

Two-meter antenna Cushcraft.jpg
    This is my first post. Thank you for the counsel. The antenna is lowered and secured from anticipated strong wind.

YD5NF likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The photo is difficult to follow due to the background clutter and angle, but do you mean the spacing from element to element is 14" all the way down the boom from one end to the other?

If so, that may be a very old version of the antenna before Cushcraft started using computer modeling for updated designs. They made a lot of VHF and UHF beams in the 60s-70s-80s that were similar to but not the same as current models and the only real difference is the current models are computer optimized so element spacings (and sometimes lengths) changed but overall element count and boom lengths didn't.

Was this just purchased "new" from CC, or was it sitting around somewhere for a while?

5. W5SRO

Yes, the even spacing interested me. A few years ago I saw a four element even spaced design that was easy to build. Found this antenna locally, and yes, it had been sitting; however, it was assembled well with aluminum grease at the boom joints. The metal and hardware are in great shape. It reminded me of a 12-foot boom design in the Bill Orr VHF handbook. The wind has started. Thanks for your time.