ad: vanity

Mysterious Feedline Damage

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by K2CD, Jun 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some strange damage to one of my feedlines has happened to me twice in the last two weeks.

About two weeks ago I was mowing behind my house. I moved the feedline of my G5RV out of the way and mowed the area it usually lies in. A bit later I went to move it back, and discovered a half dozen or so slits in the outer jacket. I assumed I somehow ran the cable over with the mower, even though I moved it, mentally kicked myself in the butt for being so stupid, and repaired the damage.

Fast forward two weeks.

Today I was mowing again, but before I even got started, I took the feedline and secured it about 6' above the ground between two masts, to right where it enters the house through the wall. In other words, from where it hangs down from the antenna, to where it enters the house, it was over 6 feet in the air the whole way. I observed no damage to the outer jacket. I patted myself on the back for my proactive measures, and lesson learned and proceeded to the task of mowing.

Approximately 3 hours later I went out back to return the cable to its normal position. To my horror I saw damage even worse than the first time. This time about 14 inches of mangled outer jacket. I have no idea what caused it. The lawn mower cannot be blamed this time. The damage is just a few inches away from where it happened the first time, but is more widespread. I had the damaged portion of feedline, plus about 5 or 6 feet of the undamaged part in my house the first time, in order to repair it. I thoroughly inspected it. The damage I found today is brand spanking new.

I do not own a weed whacker, so that can be ruled out. I absolutely did not run over the cable with the lawn mower.

Looking at the photos, has anyone ever seen damage like this due to natural causes? I'm thinking maybe a squirrel, but this part of the cable was suspended above the ground. I'm rather disgusted over this.

Weird Cuts.jpg Weird Cuts.jpg Weird Cutz.jpg

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Squirrels can climb trees and navigate narrow wires and cables.

However this damage looks really crazy! I've had "squirrel" and rodent damage to cables before, but usually they chew in one location, not all along a length of it.

Time for hardline!:p

K3XR, K9ASE and NH7RO like this.
  3. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

How old is it? UV damage? I bet it cracked when you moved it.

4. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

That looks like weed wacker or mower damage.
    I have never seen squirrels do this.
    Quality coaxial cables have UV-resistent outer jackets. Imports, unknown.

Neighbors ?
    Anti-STEM crazies exist. Tin-foil hats, HV Powerlines cause cancer, etc.

NH7RO likes this.
  5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Does the mower have one of those hoppers that catches the grass clippings, etc., or are they just allowed to exit the side of the mower? If just through the side, then there is a definite possibility that the sheath is going bad and the grass clippings hitting the sheath are causing it to fail.

Glen, K9STH

6. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do you have a neighbor who hates ham radio antennas and owns a dull machete?

NH7RO likes this.
  7. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You could hang a peice of spare coax in the same place, same time of the day, and sit and watch it for awhile.

Probably the Jersey Devil.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    WF4W and NH7RO like this.
  8. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't think so. Look at the shield, it is frayed in places. UV does not do that.

9. NH7RO

NH7RO Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the damage all on one side? Looks intentional to me by the aforementioned dull machete-wielding loon in your neighborhood. Do you happen to have a shotgun?

10. K2CD

K2CD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The cable is about 9 months old. It is like new.

Forgot to mention. . . it is "Davis" cable RG8X type.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018