Myantenna EFHW-8010

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by N8FVJ, Oct 31, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N8FVJ

N8FVJ Ham Member QRZ Page

The EFHW-8010 is a 130 foot end feed antenna with a 9 to 1 Balun. It is available with a 1KW or 2KW rated balun. Standard wire is 18 gauge with 14 gauge being an option.

Highest SWR is 2 to 1 on 80 meters with 1.5 average on other bands including the WARC bands. Add 20 feet in length and 80 meters drops to 1.5 to 1 SWR and does not effect the other bands. This antenna has a low enough SWR that a tube type HF amplifier does not require an antenna tuner. 1KW & higher power antenna tuners costs more than the EFHW-8010 antenna.

I also found the antenna produces low noise on the bands and puts out a strong signal with only 20 feet installation off of the ground. Higher is better like any antenna. I do not know of any other better performing long wire antenna. You can buy towers and beam antennas, but this simple EFHW-8010 performs and using an amplifier will place a large signal on the ham bands with less cost vs towers, rotors and beam antennas.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    K3EY and WW2PT like this.
  2. N8FVJ

Ultimax makes same antenna rated at 1.2KW SSB and is $119. It will support a Heathkit SB-220 making that 1.2KW out. Perhaps the MyAntennas 1KW rated antenna would fail.

WW2PT likes this.
  3. WW2PT

WW2PT Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought an Ultimax 100 on a whim a few years ago at the Orlando fest, think I paid $55 for it (show special). Figured it would be a good antenna to keep around in case I wanted to work portable with my KX1, and later KX2. Little did I realize at the time that it would become my main antenna—my living conditions changed suddenly and I was forced to go low-profile. It’s worked as well as can be expected for a 24’ long piece of wire, and has netted me lots of ATNO’s since 2016 that I would otherwise have missed had I been QRT. I run mine up a 31’ Jackite fiberglass telescoping pole. It’s rated for full legal limit, I’ve put as much as 500w through it, though I mostly use it at 5w these days. The ATUs in my KX2 and K3 match it easily on all bands.

4. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi N8FVJ

The my antennas EFHW 80-10 does not have a 1 : 9 unun.
    It has a 1 : 49 unun and is specialy designed to work on all bands from 80-10, but the WARC bands can also be used worse SWR.
    And its quite a nice antenna.
    It will handle an Heathkit SB200 in SSB but not in CW and will have troubles over 200 watts in digital modes like FT8 or even at less power .
    The hyendfed compagny does produce similar antennas that are build a bit better, but maybe about the same power handling or somewhat less power handling.
    These EFHW antennas are good on 80/40/20 and a bit worse on 15 and 10 meters because of losses in the unun are increasing.
    But overall they are easy to place good antennas, I have build a large number of them myself, and was very surprised with the performance of these type End Fed Half Wave antennas .
    These antennas are tuned antennas with tuned wirelength and run a very good SWR on a number of bands.
    These antennas are not in any way like the so called longwire antennas with a 1 : 9 Unun and are in my opinion better performers, with more predictable performance and a lot less common mode problems.

73 Jos

5. N8FVJ

Yes I made an error- balun is 49 to 1. I use the 2KW version so power handling is not an issue. Most buy the 1KW version and for $20 more it is smart to buy the 2KW model. I understand losses on 10 meters is less than 1.5dB.

6. PA1ZP

PA1ZP Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi N8FVJ

Yes the $20 extra is a wise investment.
    Any investent to improve the antenna is worth while.
    I take the given losses with a grain of salt though.
    I measured a few transformers (homebrew back to back), and had losses in the 3 dB range on 10 for a single transformer.
    But I had far less losses in 80/40M with these.
    And as they were designed to be used in an 80/40 mtrs antenna I didn't change the windings.
    But do realise, most given numbers are more fiction as facts.

73 Jos

7. N8FVJ

BTW- if you get RF in the shack with this antenna, 18 feet or further from antenna feed point use two FT240 size 43 mix ferrite cores with 8 turns of coax thru the cores. Any RF in the shack will disappear.