ad: M2Ant-1

My Yaesu 208R 1981-2015

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W6XPA, Aug 21, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W6XPA

W6XPA Ham Member QRZ Page

I first met my Yaesu 208R when I saw her behind the glass window of a display case at Jun's electronic's in Culver City, California one day. (No longer in business - Changed name of business and gave it to his kids) Anyways, I just knew that was the one. I forget how much it cost at the time because it didn't even matter. I just threw all the money I had in my pocket at the counter. I had known what the cost was and worked 2 months at the Picwood Movie Theater until I had saved enough. Before I knew it, I was out the door and getting a ride home.

The greatest feeling for a buyer of a brand newly purchased rig is peeling that clear plastic off of the pieces for the first time. I got my ARRL Repeater guide and stared programming. I listened and I learned. I studied Gordo's books and tapes and passed my tests all the way up to General on the FIRST TRY! I guess my intelligence level and/or abilities would only allow me to pass up to that level. The Advanced test at that time just seemed like it was over my head. eventually gave up. That was partially because I was happy where I was.

I was able to access HF through a 2m link that someone had set up for me. But I never had owned an HF rig. Everything I have ever done has been through my little Yaesu 208R and you know... God bless it.

For the last 33 years, I have taken the Yaesu 208R with me almost everywhere I go. I have always loved listening. I have always been interested in hearing where people are and how well their signal comes in from where they are to where I am. I just KNOW you all understand what I mean.

Nowadays and over 30 years later I am disabled from my career I had and in a wheelchair and life is different now. The Wife left for a rich non-disabled man and so went the house and kids. But until recently, the Yaesu 208R was still there.

I got on a Bus because I don't drive anymore. I had my Yaese hangin' there. At least I did when I got on the bus. Several people had walked by after getting on and off the bus since I got on. But when I went to look for it before I got off, IT WAS GONE. I am sure that someone maybe thought it was worth something big or was maybe some kind of cellphone. But of course it's not. It is not worth that much. But it was all I had.

Where is the decency in all humanity these days? What has happened to some people?

Because of that, I became a little bit more of a silent key, a little sooner than I thought I would.

W6XPA

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sorry for your loss.
    It's a good reason to get a new handheld though! Look at the new smaller radios like the Yaesu vx2 or vx3r or something similar. I have a vx2r I take with me most of the time. I would miss it too if it went missing. I'd buy another one used in a heartbeat.

3. VE3DXK

VE3DXK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
    Not sure if this may help:
    Yaesu FT 208R Radio Transceiver HANDSET + NC8 power supply + CHARGER http://r.ebay.com/P0mc6D

4. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

If money is tight, an inexpensive Baofeng might make a decent replacement. Sorry about the loss. I've had my home robbed twice 27 years ago, last year I had a $3k boat motor stolen along with my gear so I understand the frustration. In the end, it's just stuff.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2015