My wife says I need a new radio!

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by AE7UT, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8CPA

K8CPA Ham Member QRZ Page

Power Supply: One of these:

[​IMG]

Tuner... if you're just doing 300 watts or less and your on the cheap:

One of these:

[​IMG]

I would have sent you to a MFJ. But I own an MFJ... One word... NEVER AGAIN! JUNK! Stay AWAY! AAAAAHHHHHH! :eek::mad:

A bit pricey, But it will help you out. :D

VY 73!

-Chuck K8CPA

2. KA9MOT

KA9MOT Ham Member QRZ Page

And you'll never know what you're missing.........:eek:

And all this in Equipment Reviews :eek: :eek:

3. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thankfully women will also not know what they are missing :D

4. KA5ROW

KA5ROW Ham Member QRZ Page

Tell my wife she needs to say that. Then the next day I will order an Icom 7600.
    Just kidding I live my wife. And when I can afford the IC-7600 I will get one.

5. AE7UT

AE7UT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for the equipment advice all.

As for the marriage advice I think I'll stick to my long held belief.
    If she's happy I'm happy.
    My greatest joy is to bring joy to her life and that of my children.

VOX off. :rolleyes:

Stan

6. KA4AAA

KA4AAA Ham Member QRZ Page

I use the IC-7000 with an Alinco 330MVT power supply supply and an LDG AT-100Pro autotuner.

The whole setup is an extremely small footprint, very little heat generation, quiet fans, and I run two G5RV's (one Max and one Jr. perpendicular to each other.

Works very, very nicely.

7. AK4BM

AK4BM Ham Member QRZ Page

I use an 857D, LDg Z11Pro tuner, and a Gamma Hps-1a for a power supply.....very small package.

The tuner in my TS-570sg will tune both a G5RV, and G5RVjr without a problem.

Robbie
    KJ4JFT

8. W2TXB

W2TXB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ditto! Having owned the '7000 since 9/2008, I agree this is the radio that you will pribably want to replace the 830S with. No filters to buy - it's all there and ready to go. The transmit audio can be improved with the "Nagy" mod of the mic or a Heil (just added the ProSet today) setup. My previous rigs were a Yaesu FT-817ND and an ICOM IC-765. The IC-7000 makes both of them look like relatively inferior radios.

As for a radio in the bedroom, I am not sure I would want to do that. Is your wife buying you the radio?

9. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Hope you enjoy your 7000. I have had mine for..erm I cant remember but some years now ( I think 4) and have never had a regret. :)

10. N0WYO

N0WYO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Stan,

She sounds like a an understanding woman to let you buy a new radio and put it in your bedroom! Has she ever expressed any motivation to become a ham? Mine did 12 years ago. She's been pretty understanding with my projects.

As to an antenna, if you have time, you could make your own. I'm building a moxon beam this summer You can find more info on it here... http://www.moxonantennaproject.com/links.htm

Good luck on whatever you decide!;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.