My Wife is a HAM!! now what?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N6WT, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N4DES

N4DES Ham Member QRZ Page

I had a different background, but had many electronics kits in my pre-teen and teen years like you. I started working in a TV repair shop when I was 13 starting sweeping floors and staying there through college pretty much running the place (8 yrs total). After I graduated I went off into industry designing electromagnetic tachometry, then to Sunair Electronics http://sunairholdingsllc.com/ doing R&D on one of their military HF radio designs, and then into professional public safety communications for the last 22 years starting with doing covert electronics for our organized crime and SWAT teams and now managing a PS radio system. I also do personal communication consulting as well, but the market hasn't been that good for the smaller agencies that I have assisted in the past.

I was licensed in '91 and like to help others using the diverse experience that I have gained in the industry.

As to your question on who will replace those who go away....it's hard to say, but being that wireless/amateur communications is becoming more "digital", maybe those who have those types of interests.

2. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

I tired to stir some interest here locally in our simplex group, about using d-star. No one was interested. These guys were more interested in buying and rebuilding old klegs that looked like lunch boxes.

Oh well. Now I spend far more time on HF, playing with contests and sending out qsl cards. I am trying to confirm all states, SSB, on 40 meters. I am about half way there in just 2 months of sending out cards.

I am working on putting on a pretty cool special event this summer. I hope to work 1000+ stations over a 4 day period.

3. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

YOUR WELCOME!! :D

BTW, how do you like my card? I know it was for 20 meters but still.

Brad

4. KD8LWX

KD8LWX Ham Member QRZ Page

Why do you care if someone decides not to really get into HAM?
    Let them not renew. Let them spend money on something and not use it.
    Why do you care?

If I met a nymphomaniac tomorrow and decided that I didn't have time for HAM any more, it is my loss, not yours. OK, I wouldn't loose either, but you get my point.

5. K1WMB

K1WMB Ham Member QRZ Page

You mean we're actually getting back to the main question in this thread? I was about ready to make popcorn what with all the nastiness that showed up...

-Will

6. N1BHH

N1BHH Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of complications going on in this thread. Keep it simple. Take an assessment of the repeaters you both may be in range of and keep them in a prioritized list in your memories and just go with the flow. All those people saying an HT won't be any good are just blowing smoke. A well designed but simple setup with a simple antenna can do quite nicely. Simple dual band mag mounts work fine. You should also remember that in "The Big One" everyone will be trying their best to use any means possible to keep connected with friends and family, so remain cool and calm, too.

7. VK2AKG

VK2AKG Ham Member QRZ Page

From Marlec Pty Ltd http://www.marlec.com.au/ They are a genuine joy to deal with.

I was referring to lower TOTAL cost to communicate with reasonable certainty of getting the message through and not the "per call rate" ignoring capital equipment amortization. That said, text messaging via satellite is very inexpensive and is often bundled with the access fee. Voice calls are a little more expensive but still quite affordable for anything other than long winded gossip.

73 Frank vk2akg

8. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, that photos was unbelievable. I have to put Wyoming on my list of places to see. Nothing like that on the east coast.

9. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

Because the whole ecomm movement seems to have trouble with 97.113 and the term pecuniary interest. These two words are what stops employers from requiring employees to get licensed and use amateur bands for work purposes. Just imagine if your local taxi service, furniture delivery outfit, and pizza delivery places were to start requiring employees get licensed and using ham bands for business purposes. The hobby would be gone. We would end up with no more VHF and UHF bands.

Now enter the ecomm movement. There is a very vocal group of ecomm'rs that want 97.113 changed so government agencies can have employees being paid to use ham radio. What these ecomm'rs want to do fits well within the rules of part 90 services, but they don't want the other rules that come with part 90. So their goal is to kick and scream to get part 97 changed so their activities become within the rules, thus killing the hobby and making it a backup to public service part 90 systems.

That is why I don't much care for the ecomm'rs, and it is the reason I am so vocal. If they can do their public service activities within the current part 97, as has been done for 75 years, then there is no issue. But fighting to remove pecuniary interest, that is a major issue.

10. N6WT

N6WT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Which is it?? Will we be the death of the hobby or will we be gone?? I await your reply since your seem to be the god of ham radio and know it all!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.