My Wife is a HAM!! now what?

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by N6WT, Oct 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KT7DAD

KT7DAD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

N3XP...

Another good posting, straight to the point....

I have only been a HAM for about 8 months...
    The first thing I started questioning about this hobby was the "Emcom" thing....
    I understand that HAM radio can be useful, when I am offroading, on some of the stretches here in NV that have none or poor cellphone coverage etc...
    However, I became a HAM because of the communication part, talking to people all over the world, experimenting with antennas, PSK31 etc....
    I just enjoy radio, and all the different aspects of radio....
    My 9YO daughter is a HAM, neither she is waiting for the big quake, but she like to talk on the radio, and be treated with respect from adults she meet on the repeaters, and being my sidekick when we go offroading, she is the radio operator.
    She is trained to take an emergency call, IF it comes (she MAY be the only one hearing the call), she know what to do, respond, get info call 911, and broadcast for adult HAM operators to assist. Create a log....
    Just because we live where we live and quite a few local hams are also four wheelers, from time to time there is accidents that need to be handled..

But that was NOT why I became a HAM....

Yes, we will make my services available IF we get the big quake, but that was not why I became a HAM, I am not sitting with my "GO" bag and waiting for the big quake...

I also find pleasure in assisting with event communication from time to time...

2. N6WT

N6WT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh yeah that was right to the point! Made me feel real welcome!
    I'm sorry I don't share every ones enthusiasm for making a contact and building radios and antennas and I'm not knocking that, I know that is part of the "hobby".

When I first got my license (11 years ago) I got it because everyone in my Jeep club was doing it because we were tired of all the crap on the CB. We all also joined a repeater club. I went on a few mountain top expeditions to fix repeaters and found out it was not what I wanted to do.

I am not hiding waiting for the next quake. I have plans other than radios. I KNOW AN HT IS LIMITED! All I asked was what plans does your family have for a big emergency and I got slammed for it and now your congratulating him for it?

Yeah this is a great hobby?!

3. N6WT

This post is from the ARRL web site?? Watch out, N3XP might label you as an Ecommer. He doesn't belive in the organization.

The quote in the article is "Christianson, a member of his local ARES group, said he first became interested in Amateur Radio because he wanted to help people in need." N3XP would label this guy as an ecommer or whacker.

4. N6WT

If there is a moderator watching this thread please close it so I am not sickened by any more responses!!!

5. N4RRL

N4RRL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well Donald,
    Don't hang around and get sickened by the replies.. no one is forcing you to stay.
    I firmly believed in the things that XP and many others have said and if you are not interested in AR as a hobby, and openly disdain the hobby(no, I don't think you ACTUALLY said that in so many words, but you did imply{at least in MY interpretation..}so, don't ask me to actually quote you for the numerous times that came across to me) find another way to prepare yourself and don't keep pounding away at those of us who enjoy the hobby, when you have no interest in it.(Whew! sorry for the long sentence that turned into a paragraph!)
    So, in short, if you don't want to hear anymore, just leave and quit trying to egg it on. I have read the whole thing here and I am personally tired of it, so I am leaving, not to return, so, don't bother replying to me to get my goat - I won't see it.
    Take care,
    Joe
    N4RRL

6. K7JBQ

K7JBQ Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Moderator here.

I see no need, at this point, to close the thread. If reading it sickens you, I suggest you stop reading. At some point, all threads drift away...well, with one or two notable exceptions.

You made your point about your reason for becoming a licensed amateur. Many others have made theirs. So it goes.

Bill, K7JBQ
    One of the QRZ.com moderators

7. N3XP

N3XP Ham Member QRZ Page

This is another scab like thread. Just when you think its gone, someone goes and picks it open again.

8. K4EEZ

K4EEZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I think having more than one way to communicate is a good thing
    my point is, just make sure it works when needed.

9. N6WT

Thank you. That is all I was asking in the beginning.

To Joseph N4RRL, You can call me Ken, and no "disdain" ( had to look this one up on Google, to despise. Good one! ) for the hobby here, just not what I want to do with my time. I would much rather get all dirty working on a Jeep. Sorry, I don't want your goat you can keep it. Now N3XP's goat is another story.

To the moderator, maybe sickened was a strong word fed by emotion. So sorry I offended you.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
  10. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You asked a question, didn't like the answer, and then proceded to jump on everyone. I think I gave you a pretty straight answer back near the beginning of this thread, post #46, so did several others so I'm curious why all the venom. I wish you luck.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.