My thoughts on MF and LF.

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by WA4ILH, Nov 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE4GQE

KE4GQE Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm interested in finding a both affordable hot receiver for mostly LW broadcasts. Over the years I've been watching the HP-3586B Selective Level Meter but apparently those guys selling on ebay want to retire off of those surplus sales. Same problem on the ADF Receivers Any Ideas?

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Building good VLF receivers is quite easy. It's the rarity of the off-the-shelf ones that sets their unrealistic prices.

W0BTU likes this.
  3. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Look for selective voltmeters. Those are actually VLF receivers and, usually, go from DC to 200 kHz or higher. My Rycom 6010 covers up to around 215 kHz, has AM, LSB, and USB capabilities, and a digital frequency readout. Such are, generally, considerably less expensive than units sold as "receivers" and have calibrated analog meters as well.

Glen, K9STH

4. N8AFT

N8AFT Ham Member QRZ Page

Good old Drake SPR-4 is vy hard to beat for the money spent... Seems the Rycom is vy limited at only DC to 200khz.
    It won't go up high where the hams are above 400khz?

5. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

AFT:

There are all sorts of receivers that cover the 630-meter band that do a very good job including the old surplus BC-453 and the BC-348 series as well as a fair number of "modern" transceivers like the TS-440S series. It is the 2200-meter band that is difficult for many to obtain receivers although there are a number of inexpensive receiving converters that do a pretty good job.

For the 630-meter band I have both a BC-453 and a BC-348 as well as a TS-440SAT plus a converter that covers both the 630-meter and 2200-meter bands as well as the Rycom. It is the transmitting side that is taking a while to get going!

Glen, K9STH

6. W9XMT

W9XMT Ham Member QRZ Page

7. AA5CT

AA5CT Ham Member QRZ Page

re: "I probably won’t try these new bands for a while."

When night comes, we are all equal in the eyes of the ionosphere, and that is when the activity picks up. I haven't been on 630 meters since doing some WSPR operation earlier this year, and back when I first received my applied-for experimental license for the 630m band back in 2015 and some periods on and off since then. My QRZ page has the results of some WSPR operation on the 630m band back in those days from my small-ish city lot and the vertical loop I used that didn't quite span the width of the backyard which is only 60 feet wide.

8. KC6ETE

KC6ETE Ham Member QRZ Page

Hawaii should be pretty good.. hihi! Anywhere near the beach you get salt water a few feet down.

9. W9XMT

W9XMT Ham Member QRZ Page

The URL above no longer works to access that paper, but the following one does:

http://rfry.org/Software Download/Freq and Conductivity as Factors in MW Field Intensity.pdf