ad: w5yi

My thoughts on MF and LF.

Discussion in 'The Low Bands - 630/2200 Meters - VLF' started by WA4ILH, Nov 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

But in the movie Crimson Tide (Denzel Washington & Gene Hackman) the radioman, after he finally gets the receiver repaired, is receiving an EAM at what looks like about 1200 baud on VLF. LOL. Also, while trying to solder a connection, he gets blue and green sparks from the PCB.
    Tom WA4ILH

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

QAA:

I had looked at a couple of the Internet sites about TACAMO and was led to believe that the ELF was still in use. However, since my involvement with TACAMO ended in 1969, I am definitely not "up to date" about the system! o_O

Glen, K9STH

3. WA4ILH

WA4ILH Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know about other DoD agencies or National Command Authority but the Navy's ELF sites in Michigan and Wisconsin were decommissioned years ago. One of my supervisors who had a PHD in Physics once told me that that ELF systems (below 3 KHz) was not really radio but "Induction" Hmmmmm.
    Tom WA4ILH

KB4QAA likes this.
  4. KB4QAA

KB4QAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes Glen, the ELF system was decommissioned shortly after the end of the Cold War. TACAMO was never capable of transmitting on ELF. Their system is VLF.

Interesting Tidbit: When the TACAMO program transitioned from the C-130's to the EC-6, the winch system was removed and installed in the new planes. Still going strong after 45+ years.

p.s. I live here by Pax River Md. I was a boy here when TACAMO started up; my dad was a navy test pilot. Have had navy buddies in the program. Can provide some interesting stories from Bermuda deployments with the TACAMO guys.

5. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member Staff Member QRZ Page

The airborne system was VLF and the land based was ELF. It was the airborne system that my division (Process Division) at Collins Radio Company was most involved. Process Division made the circuit boards for the other Collins Radio divisions. Since the amateur radio products were "hand wired" at the time, we did not have anything to do with those products during the period in which I was employed.

The Collins Radio engineers, and technicians, who flew with the Navy during those early days, also had some "stories" to tell about their experiences. One had to have at least a secret security clearance to be even slightly associated with the project. I almost had to get a "Q clearance" because of the Sandia Base project. However, I left Collins Radio to go to work for a microelectronics firm. At that time, I was in a position to know that Collins Radio Company was undergoing some financial difficulties (Art Collins sold out to Rockwell International finally in 1973). However, I got 2-salary raises at the same time but the microelectronics company offered me a 50% increase in salary over what I was making with the raises. It was a "no brainer" and I left Collins.

Glen, K9STH