ad: M2Ant-1

My Storm Chase/SkyWarn Spotting Vehicle: Video

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0IVL, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow.

I sincerely hope you are not injured or killed as a result of your self-described driving habits. Especially, I hope that no one else is.

2. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

If anyone else ever is, this thread will make great folder for opposing counsel.

KA2CZU likes this.
  3. KC0IVL

KC0IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for clarifying that for me. Well I've never been yelled at for chasing except by the passengers in my vehicle who are generally scared to death by the shear speed and aggressiveness I drive when in the middle of driving rain, wind, and flooded roads, or high wind and white out snow conditions. I generally do not shoot video while doing this as that may be used against me some day. I never take pictures or even stop along the side of the road in bad weather. I've been driving through storms since 1978, and didn't get my Ham Ticket until 2000, and SkyWarn trained in 2005. Before that I used a Police Scanner and CB Radio. The Police Scanner was for monitoring NOAA (and the cops) and the CB was to talk back and forth with other "yahoos" that were in my storm chase convoy. We had absolutely no interest in filming, photographing or reporting storms. We wanted to challenge our machines against Mother Nature to see who was "Better." We learned from our failures on how to circumvent the failure from happening again.

Since having a police scanner hooked up in a vehicle was highly illegal in Minnesota (same penalty as having a loaded gun) I decided to get my Ham Ticket, originally for the sole purpose of being legal with my mobile Police Scanner. Five years later I was convinced to get SkyWarn trained so I could report some of the things I encountered while on my Thrill Rides. In the old days (1970's) Storm Spotters were assigned locations to set up at and they had to stay there and report what they saw; much too restrictive for me. I only got trained and report because I have the freedom to go wherever I want to.

I finally made a video summarizing my knowledge from all the years of learning experience and put it on my YouTube Channel simply to gain more hits. I then posted it on here as a means to pick up even more hits and/or subscribers. It seems to be working.

I don't jump out of airplanes, or off bridges with a bungee cord attached, and drag racing is a has-been sport. I have to get my thrills somehow.....

4. KC0IVL

LOL. On here I have to be "nice" because you all can find out who I really am. On a lot of other boards where I've gotten into discussions on my "driving habits" I get accused of being a "Troll" and horrible flame wars result until the Thread is either deleted or locked. If you'll notice in my video I NEVER mention my Call Sign, and my license plates are privatized so even if you have access to the DOT Database, it will send you to an address 60 miles in the opposite direction away from my real location.

5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

welp, you take the prize for nuttiest poster in my short time on QRZ.

one day your youtube channel, and qrz profile will just go silent and none of us here will know why....

KJ6NWU and KC9UDX like this.
  6. WX5TJW

WX5TJW Ham Member QRZ Page

So KC0IVL, the title to this thread is misleading since you are not a storm chaser nor Skywarn spotter.

AC0OB likes this.
  7. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I hope for your sake you see this the way we do before long.

8. KC0IVL

I am SkyWarn certified and I just renewed my certification in March. I also call in reportable conditions when I encounter them. "Storm Chaser" is a subjective label, but "Storm Experiencer" might be a more accurate description of what I like to do.

9. KC0IVL

Well that may be, but Hams sure seem to enjoy talking with me on the radio!

10. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Since you seem to be in it for the thrill, and not the science, at least view this so you don't get into harms way:cool::

Phil
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    AC0OB - A Place where Thermionic Emitters Rule!

Besides, when you're a ham, you experiment with and improve boat anchors - that's what you do! :)

WX5TJW likes this.