ad: elecraft

My Storm Chase/SkyWarn Spotting Vehicle: Video

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0IVL, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WX5TJW

WX5TJW Ham Member QRZ Page

Is this the only reason you chase?

2. WX5TJW

Owning and driving pick-ups for the first 13 years of my driving life, I quickly found out that pick-ups don't fare well driving higher speeds in severe weather conditions such as high winds and water/flooding on roads/highways. A lot of storm chaser friends of mine also tend not to use pick-ups. Rear ends are much lighter than the front and are prone to get out from you and cause you to spin. I now chase in a SUV.

KC9UDX likes this.
  3. WX5TJW

This is one of the best examples of why real storm chasers get lumped into a category and get blamed for everything.

KU4X and KC9UDX like this.
  4. AG6QR

AG6QR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Courage is being willing to risk life and limb for a higher purpose, to save others, to help humanity, add to knowledge that may have future benefit, etc., while attempting to minimize the risks to the extent practical. Firefighters, Police officers, and members of our military services are courageous.

Fearlessness/idiocy is taking unneeded risks for selfish reasons: just the thrill of it, or fame, or bragging rights.

Reckless negligence is putting other innocent people at risk for selfish reasons.

If one is driving at high speed under low visibility conditions when most traffic is stopped, one is risking others' life and safety as well as one's own. If there were traffic stopped or slow in the middle of the road, it's likely a high speed driver on wet pavement would be unable to stop in time to avoid crashing into them. The person thinking only about himself would say, "but if they're stopped in the middle of the road, they deserve what they get!" But maybe they were stopped in the middle of the road because they were involved in an accident, or debris was blocking their way, or any one of a dozen other possibilities.

KU4X, WA7PRC, KC9UDX and 1 other person like this.
  5. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Especially driving a 9000# vehicle with fuel efficient tyres!

6. KC0IVL

KC0IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty much the case. In fact, if I'm on a road trip and see a storm I've been known to go miles out of my way just to drive through it, then turn around and get back on course. This includes Winter Snow Storms too. My ultimate Storm Chase dream would be to drive through a Category 5 Hurricane, far enough inland to avoid the Storm Surge of course.

7. KC0IVL

Weight can easily be added to the back end of your pickup if you like. This is what I do for Winter Storm Chases, up to 1,000 Lbs. The front end of my pick up weighs 4,600 Lbs, and the back end weighs 3,300 Lbs, (empty) but it's a 4x4, so when in bad weather I have it in four-wheel drive. I usually am able to maintain 75 MPH in wind and rain that starts to cause others in cars to pull off to the side with their four-ways on. When visibility drops to less than two white lines, I slow down to 50 MPH. 50 MPH is my normal cruising speed in almost white out blizzard conditions with snow covered roads too. Back in the 1970's and early 1980's with my big "boat" of a Plymouth Satellite (rear-wheel drive) car, I was also able to maintain 50 MPH in blizzards. When cars got smaller and lighter and tires became more performance rated, this was no longer the case.

Chrysler Corp. vehicles have an advantage over any other brand of vehicle (Ford or GM) I've driven (I don't do foreign makes). That advantage is if you hit a deep puddle of water in the road at high speed, (or snow pile) with just one wheel, it doesn't yank your steering or cause you to swerve. I have tried to find out why this is but Chrysler is quite closed mouth about their design specs in this area.

8. KC0IVL

But I drive the same way in dry sunny weather. I do tend to get into some Road Rage encounters on a regular basis. Does this mean you're going to say I'm giving Ham Radio a bad name by the way I drive too?

9. KC0IVL

10. WX5TJW

Why would I say that? My point was that you chase storms and drive into them for the thrill of it. In a lot of instances, people view that and lump everyone who chases storms the same. I've been yelled at by people because they think I only chase for the thrill of it and exploit the victims by taking photos and videos. I have to explain that I am not one of those yahoos. Chasers such as myself, do take photos and videos but we also chase to help the alert/warning process by giving reports to the NWS. I have also donated my time to help with debris cleanup and handing out donations to natural disaster victims.