My Storm Chase/SkyWarn Spotting Vehicle: Video

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0IVL, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

If I were the pickup truck slinging mud doing donuts in a farmer's field type I guess I'd have a blinky light too.

Actually, I do have one, but it doesn't go on my vehicles, on or off road. It's on my bench. I don't remember why.

Never being pulled over is terrible evidence of legality. I never got pulled over for not having my off road lights covered. I drove that way for ten years. You couldn't miss them. I actually don't know why I never got pulled over for that.

2. KC0IVL

KC0IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

It had the 350 TBI gas engine. When I purchased my current truck I had everything set up right that I learned from my previous mistakes. The only thing I cannot beat with my new truck over my old truck is the headlight/high-beam system. Those halogen high-beams from the late 1980's were the brightest factory lights I've ever seen. The off-road driving lights on the front grill were super bright too. Laws have changed and you're not allowed to have such bright lights on a vehicle anymore, not even in HID.

3. KC0IVL

Oooh, I could do some pretty good posts along this line. I've never been much for Legalism.

4. KC0IVL

I can't be sure, but I don't believe off-road light covers are required in Minnesota. I keep mine covered so they don't get broken by flying rocks while going down the freeway.

5. KC0IVL

The majority of GMRS radios out there for sale are NOT GMRS type accepted, especially when you buy them off of ebay. If fact, I recently bought a kid's toy that used frequencies in the GMRS band. It turned out they were not legal for use on that band, and I wrote a review on Amazon to the effect. The toy was like $10, but after purchasing it there was some fine print on the box that stated you needed to apply for a $50 GMRS license to operate the toy. It was some kind of spy kid walkie-talkie or something. I can't remember anymore.
    Here's a good example of what I'm talking about and look who their selling to:
    http://farmradiosupply.com/dual_band_farm_radio.html

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I don't know about Minnsota either, but covers are required in Wisconsin. Or at least they used to be. I used to know several people who got in a lot of trouble over that (it didn't help being an idiot to the officer who noticed the lack of covers).

I do know the windshield law here, because I've been pulled over for not having one. In Wisconsin, it's legal to drive without a windshield, but vehicle occupants must wear eye protection (stupid not to) and the vehicle must have working windshield wipers.

I also got pulled over once for having no doors. The officer had a long conversation with the dispatcher (or whoever) and then apologised to me, but, gave me a ten day ticket because my taillight fuse went out inexplicably whilst I was pulled over.:mad:

7. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Tim Samaras graduated from high school and that was the end of his formal education but in the words of Paul Simon, his lack of education hasn't hurt him none. Despite the absence of college degrees, there is no denying his contributions to science and technology. As far as those tornado probes, he designed and built them.

The other undeniable fact about Tim Samaras is that he is dead and he died chasing a storm.

KU4X likes this.
  8. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The common belief among licensed GMRS enthusiasts is that the FCC tacitly tolerates analog Part 90 radios for GMRS use (assuming power limits observed, etc.), as the primary difference in eligibility for GMRS type acceptance versus Part 90 type acceptance is whether the GMRS box is checked on the FCC paperwork.

That tacit acceptance is something I haven't independently verified.

Note that the absence of a particular model of radio from the CAP approved list can simply mean that the CAP hasn't tested it for NTIA compliance. The last CAP list I saw included some Wouxun HTs as approved (presumably because some CAP communications folks didn't want to spend money on a Motorola for use as a surplus/extra/backup HT). AMARS and AFMARS require compliance with NTIA standards, but they default to accepting most modern amateur gear as compliant unless proper authority indicates to the contrary.

That still doesn't mean that someone inquiring about or discussing opening up their rigs won't be subject to significant negative peer-pressure unless they preface their inquiry/comment with an indication of a legitimate need (like MARS membership). Sadly, the antics of freebanders have fueled some folks' knee-jerk reactions.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2016
  9. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

While those points are accurate....check out the guy's entry on Wikipedia. Even allowing for the positive spin / polishing that appears in many biographical entries on Wikipedia, he had an impressive CV, one which ought to put him in a different class than the thrill-seeking yahoos that give storm chasers a bad rep in some circles.

10. KC0IVL

It's illegal in Minnesota to not have a hood over your engine! I've known three people who have had their cars impounded for it.

KC9UDX likes this.