ad: M2Ant-1

My Storm Chase/SkyWarn Spotting Vehicle: Video

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0IVL, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KC0IVL

KC0IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Well I did this for 8 years, and it was tons more fun than Ham Radio (although we did use CB Radios to meet the girls).

The Powers that Be said the same things about what we did back then that you said, and the activity now has been ruled Illegal! However, you will notice that the pick up truck at the beginning has a yellow utility light on the top, and this was long before Storm Chasing was ever heard of. I sighted my reasons for having the lighting I do, and it actually has nothing to do with Storm Chasing.

2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why a Ford next time? Everyone I've talked to that hauls a trailer likes the Chevy better than their old Ford or Dodge.
    They really like the Duramax and Allison combo.

3. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not that I'm aware of. But once it emits RF beyond the provisions of Part 15, it's a whole 'nother ball game.

4. KC0IVL

My daily driver (car) has a modified chip in it so I can drive over 120 MPH too. It's not so much about modifying something because I want to use it out of it's intended purpose, it's about knowing I'm able to do it should the need arise.

5. KC0IVL

This is a picture of my former Storm Chase vehicle. Don't be deceived by it's looks. It was the biggest piece of junk I've ever owned. In fact every GM product I've owned, except for my Buick Grand National, has been a huge glorified piece of junk! I'll never go back to another GM product!
    I also don't want to hear any comment about not having a utility light. I did back then, but it was a magnetic "stick-on" that I just threw up on the roof when I was performing road-side assistance. 4X4.JPG

6. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice truck unless it had the 5.0 or 6.2 diesel of that era. It must of been built on Friday.

7. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Corrections:
    1. Tim Samaras was NOT a degreed meteorologist. He was a talented technician with no formal education.

2. There is no indication that Mr. Samaras had exceptional understanding of tornadoes. He was talented at chasing them and placing instrumentation to measure and record them. That in no way proves he had the knowledge and understanding surpassing that of dozens of PhD meteorologists also studying tornados. Being able to successfully chase storms doesn't mean you understand them.

AC0OB likes this.
  8. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

And a little research shows us that radio is not on the "approved list" for CAP use. NTIA standards anyone? I also see MARS and CAP require specific licensing.

Back to the popcorn popper.

9. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Got a license. Check. Got a Part 95 (GMRS) type accepted radio?

KA0HCP and KC9UDX like this.
  10. K8MHZ

K8MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously?

With all due respect, you aren't earning any here with posts like that.

KC9UDX likes this.