ad: elecraft

My Storm Chase/SkyWarn Spotting Vehicle: Video

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0IVL, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KC0IVL

KC0IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in the 1970's and early 1980's I drag raced my car on city streets. Sometimes we'd reach speeds near 80 MPH and even blow red lights. I believe that most of us on here around my age did this sort of stuff as teenagers and young adults. This was both a thrill seeking behavior, dangerous and even worse, put other people around us in jeopardy. A lot more people have died drag racing, drunk driving, and today even texting while driving, than ever have chasing storms. Therefore, your observations on my current life choices seem a bit tame to what I grew up with.

2. KC0IVL

KC0IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd say that a tornado, power lines or large debris near or on the roadway constitutes a hazard.

3. N1EN

N1EN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't disagree...but again, absent an obvious excuse (e.g., being in MARS), it's not necessarily a bad thing to be discreet about having done so, not because of any questions of legality (it's generally OK to modify) but instead due to the peer pressure element of amateur-radio's self-enforcement.

4. KD2IAT

KD2IAT Ham Member QRZ Page

In my earlier post, I cited 90.427.b Is that not good enough for you?

5. KD2IAT

BINGO!

6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for posting this, your lights appear to be legal to install and use in MN. They certainly wouldn't be in my state and lots of others. Out of curiosity, are they legal in other states you chase storms into (assuming you go out of state)?

7. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Never understood storm chasing - seems like a good way to burn up a lot of fuel, get your car damaged, and possibly worse. However, I know a lot of folks look at my ham radio hobby and ask "why" as well, so if you're having fun and being safe, I guess have at it!

With one exception. Don't become part of the problem; if you put yourself in harms way and need rescue yourself, you've become part of the problem. While we do get tornadoes here in Colorado, they are rare in my little jurisdiction. I have participated in multi-agency drills for tornado response, and as a First Responder (FF, EMT, Technical Rescue) the last thing we need is a mass causality incident because folks drove into danger instead of seeking shelter. 'Nuff said, use your head and be safe.

Last thing - from my perspective the lights border on wackerdom. Unless you're required to have them (OSHA, local codes, etc.), I'd keep them off. I am a Deputy Fire Chief and here are zero extra lights on my POV. None. Just my $0.02.

Steve
    KV6O

KU4X and KD2IAT like this.
  8. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Where is 90.427 published and what does it say?

Efcr.gov doesn't have it, which is where I'd expect to find something like that.

ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title47/47cfr90_main_02.tpl

("Base station"!!)

9. ND5Y

ND5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

KD2IAT likes this.
  10. KD2IAT

Any full copy of Part 90 will have it. I immediately found it in several places with an internet search on fcc part 90

But I'll post a good link for you since you don't seem to know how to find this: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/part-90/subpart-N