ad: ProAudio-1

My Storm Chase/SkyWarn Spotting Vehicle: Video

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0IVL, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had 1200-1500 calls a year so we had to be smart. I had an arsonist who hit other areas, they'd set a small fire in a dumpster on one side of town to draw the engine away from where he was going to strike. The first dumpster fire came in in my area and the local Captain responded with a brush truck and 5 minutes later came the structure fire call. The first due engine got there in 2 minutes and knocked down the fire. Enough evidence was recovered to make an arrest and go to trial successfully.

KC9UDX likes this.
  2. AC0OB

AC0OB Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

A pickup truck is an aerodynamic disaster waiting to happen.

High profile vehicles can get hit by sidewinds and overturn easily,.

High profile vehicles have too much under chassis lift due to road/chassis clearance. In this case, added weight will make no difference whatsoever in high velocity tangential wind fields..

3. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Not all pickup trucks are high profile. Put a cap (topper?) on a newish one and they are. But no cap on an older one and they aren't.

But all that weight, what's the point?

If you're heavy enough to not get blown away, you get struck with all the stuff that wasn't heavy enough to not blow away.

Hopefully some of that weight is armour cladding.

4. K5MPH

K5MPH Ham Member QRZ Page

I know a Ham That is an General and says C.B. radio (11 meters) as he calls it out trumps Ham radio any day ......

5. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Seriously? I've tried listening on CB and the only activity I hear is the guy running illegal power in his truck that comes out my computer speakers every time he drives by my house.

6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Lately, three times I've passed a truck on the highway to hear Donald Duck speaking from the stereo speakers in my car with the stereo turned off.

I didn't know they used SSB that much.

7. K5MPH

K5MPH Ham Member QRZ Page

Really my Experience is over the last 25 years as an Ham Operator if you put up both a CB and a 2 meter antenna at 40 feet or so the 2 meter Ham Band will out perform CB radio any time of the day as far as Distance is concerned and im not talking about CB radio skip only true line of sight By the way this General thinks that the CB band is the 11 meter band it was when Hams used to use it back in the day now its called the CB band ........