My Storm Chase/SkyWarn Spotting Vehicle: Video

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0IVL, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow, interesting thread. I've never chased a storm

2. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been on a lot of internet forums dealing with a multitude of subjects over the last 15 years or so and I haven't found one quite as bad as this for whining, bitching and downright unpleasantness.

W9AFB likes this.
  3. N9SOX

N9SOX Ham Member QRZ Page

Costanza!
    Costanza!

"Can't-Stand-Ya"!
    "Can't-Stand-Ya"!

I'll show myself the door....

4. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Awww he has a cute wittle bwinky wight on da top! Nothing says whacker more than a civilian vehicle with a light on top.

AC0OB likes this.
  5. KY5U

Good, so you won't be back, right?

AC0OB likes this.
  6. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

I saw one of our volunteer firemen today, at least, I hope he was.

He was racing up my street with a siren sounding. But instead of a light bar on top of the car, there were some very bright red strobes on the rocker panels.

I don't know why, and I wonder if that's a new trend.

7. KY5U

We used to be authorized one dash revolving light, out of sight when not used. No roof, no grill, no flashers, just one dash light. No siren. I used to tell my volunteers the light was a REQUEST for the right of way, not a demand. You had to obey all traffic laws.

Personally, I found that a red light was a link to the fire department for every nut and authority hater to rattle your chain. I discovered that it was better for someone to think you were a jerk driver than to give them a direction (via the red light) to vent their indignation at the FD. NO red light for me.

Early on with my dash light I got behind a guy who was purposefully driving slow to screw with me. He finally moved a block from the accident and I proceeded to the scene. I was giving first aid to a woman and a little girl in a car when this guy walks up saying "oh my God" over and over. I told him they'd be ok but he said I was the one who wouldn't let you pass and that's my wife! Well I thought to myself boy I taught him a lesson when later that afternoon on the way to a structure fire, I got a different guy doing the same thing. It dawned on me that there weren't enough calls to teach all the butt heads a lesson so the red light went in the trunk.

Last edited: May 22, 2016
    KC9UDX likes this.
  8. KC9UDX

Our volunteer firemen do require the right of way. We don't have any full time fire/EMS.

When they get a call they usually first drive to the firehouse. It's quite comical to watch as a result. I live on a highway leading to the firehouse, so I get to see it all the time: they always look like they're lost; driving back and forth.

Especially because for some reason they don't get specific details of where they're going until they're halfway there with the fire truck or ambulance.

They do a lot of driving back and forth.

9. KY5U

We had an unofficial rule, never leave the station unless you know where you're going. Also we'd get "smoke in the area" calls and if a fire officer was near, the truck didn't roll until something was confirmed.

10. KC9UDX

I really don't know how they do it here. Maybe they do know where they're going, but the dispatcher doesn't.

But they do race back and forth a lot.