My Storm Chase/SkyWarn Spotting Vehicle: Video

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0IVL, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Then why do you carry a laminated sheet with pictures of cloud formations on the front seat of your truck???

2. KC0IVL

KC0IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

The cornering ability of a tire has a lot to do with how well the tread meets the pavement and how well the sidewalls are reinforced. My Bridgestones are 10-Ply with REVO 2 technology (which means they stay "sticky" even after they wear down) with reinforced side walls. While not as good as the Police Rated ultra-grip tires on my daily driver, they are the best I've own on a 4x4. I have been unable to find a good set of off-road Police Rated tires for the truck.

3. KC0IVL

I have a laminated cloud chart under my seat in my truck, but I don't believe I showed it in my video. I didn't know they still made them. I bought mine back in the early 1980's.

4. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Ten ply sidewalls will improve cornering on bias tyres, which don't corner well anyway; but will greatly reduce cornering traction with radial tyres. My tyres have only two sidewall plies, which greatly increases traction all round off-road. But I don't have a 9000# (empty?) truck. If I did, I'd probably want extra plies to avoid blowing out the sidewalls. More sidewall plies means more weight capacity, but sacrifices traction by not allowing as much flex.

I don't know what REVO 2 means any more than the Three Stage Sidewall that Interco claims about the Trxus STS. To me these are just snazzy marketing terms.

I've had Goodyear, BFGoodrich, Firestone, Bridgestone, Cooper, Dunlap, and I don't even remember all of them over the years. Some were mud tyres, some were "all terrain", some were " trail" tyres. I do remember that there were subtle differences between them, but they were drastically different than the Trxus tyres.

I expected Super Swampers to be good off road. What I didn't expect was how good they'd be on road. The first thing I noticed was that they don't howl anywhere near as much on the highway. The second thing was just the places I could go off road with no trouble at all, where I would've gotten stuck with the most aggressive major-brand tyres I've had. They're not TSL Boggers, but they're the closest I've seen for something with good highway characteristics.

But having thought about it, I wouldn't put them, or any other Super Swampers on a truck like yours being driven the way you describe.

5. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you even watched your own video? How else would I have known you had such a chart???? As I keep telling my kids, "Our last name is not Kreskin! I am not a mind reader!"

6. KC0IVL

There's Revo and Revo 2. Revo 2 is a different kind of rubber compound that stays sticky even when it wears down bald so you have great traction even bald. I totally disagree about the sidewall reinforcement. The reinforced radials on all my vehicles have improved my cornering ability. The reinforcement, I believe, is done with steel belts in the sidewall and along the bead, not extra plies.

However, I shall look into your tyre recommendation next time I need a set.

Remember I want my 4x4 to corner like a corvette, go off road like a tank, accelerate like a dragster, stop on a dime, go thru snow like a snow cat, handle glare ice like chains, carry 12,000 LBS of load, and be rated for a sustained speed of 120+ MPH.

7. KC0IVL

I have not watched my video since I put it up two years ago. I have over 100 videos on my Channel, and am working on some new ones for the near future.

8. K6CPO

K6CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

If there's anything I learned from this thread it's don't post video or photos of anything you've done in ham radio on here. There WILL BE someone who finds fault with what you're doing...

N1EN likes this.
  9. W9CMG

W9CMG Guest

It doesn't matter what tire (tyre) you have if you happen into a corner that has sand, antifreeze, oil or name a friction reducer. But your speed will matter. Or an obstruction unseen around the corner. Your not on a controlled race track!

10. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

You're only now learning that? You must be pretty new to the wild and woolly world of Internet forums!

AC0OB, KA2CZU and KC9UDX like this.