My Storm Chase/SkyWarn Spotting Vehicle: Video

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0IVL, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC9UDX

KC9UDX Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

You know your tyres have traction when you can hear them grabbing the road. :) When you get to where you need new tyres, consider the Trxus STS. I was pretty blown away by the amount of traction they have. I have no idea what the speed rating is, but 85MPH doesn't seem to be a problem.
    KIMG0631.jpg

My other car has much larger Trxus MTs. Utterly amazing tyres. Great off road performance, excellent on road performance.

2. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Does more really need to be said?

Steve
    KV6O

N0TZU and KC9UDX like this.
  3. WX5TJW

WX5TJW Ham Member QRZ Page

ยท

4. KD4MOJ

KD4MOJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Come down to Florida when we have one coming through... and you might change your mind. If you do come down... make sure that your life insurance term policy is up to date for the kids... :)

...DOUG
    KD4MOJ

5. KI5WW

KI5WW Ham Member QRZ Page

Things are looking like tomorrow will be busy day for spotters, chasers, observers, lost souls etc. here in Oklahoma.
    Dry line will be east of me about 50 miles so I will be looking at the back side of it all but even that proves to be pretty amazing.

6. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Just because the badge on the back of your truck says "4.0 Litre", that does not give you the right to mis-spell TIRES!!! :p

KC9UDX likes this.
  7. KC9UDX

Don't call my wagon a truck! :p:D

8. KC0IVL

KC0IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

I am well versed in Storm Structure and how to stay away from the "Bears Cage." In my video, I even give a plug to my favorite Storm Chase DVD, "Storm Structure 101." My favorite storm to drive through is a Derecho. Tornadoes are pretty rare in Derechos.

9. KC0IVL

KC0IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

Speed rating as to do with the maximum sustained speed a tire is rated for. In Montana, where speed limits are subjective, you will usually get a speeding ticket for exceeding the speed rating for your tires. Y-Rated tires are the highest speed rating at 180+ MPH.
    http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/tire...-tires/tire-speed-ratings-and-tread-life.page

How are those Traxus tires on cornering? I don't like to slow down for curves. I can take 35 MPH curves at 65 MPH in my 4x4 and hold my lane on dry pavement. :)

10. KC9UDX

I'm well aware of speed ratings, but have no data on what the speed rating on these tyres is. They are not passenger car rated.

I take the left turn at the intersection up the street from my house at 35 MPH, no problem. Drives my wife nuts. :)

I don't know what to say about speed rated turns. I mean, the on ramp I take after work says 30MPH and I take that at 70+. But I think the 30 is for eighteen wheelers.

That's the STS tyres. My much larger M/Ts give a little, which I am very grateful for. It means not having to air down as much on the trails.

I've had plenty of other brands of tyres over the years. I won't anymore. I bought my Trxus M/Ts five years ago, and won't buy run-of-the-mill tyres since.

I should mention all the tyres I currently have are radials. No bias tyres at the moment.

Also, my vehicles have very ideal centres-of-gravity. Nothing like a pickup.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016