My Storm Chase/SkyWarn Spotting Vehicle: Video

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KC0IVL, Apr 2, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC0IVL

KC0IVL Ham Member QRZ Page

It's kinda long, but I tried to include lots of good information in there if you're patient enough to watch the whole thing:

2. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You cannot legally use a modified ham radio transceiver on GMRS and FRS

KC9VFO and KD2IAT like this.
  3. KC0IVL

I can listen and monitor those frequencies and use them during an emergency. Anything else you'd like to add?

4. KG4ERE

KG4ERE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Use FRS during an emergency? Bwahahahahahaha

5. KC0IVL

Naw, GMRS. I have no use for FRS except to monitor my kids communications.

6. KD2IAT

KD2IAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Your ham ticket only allows use of ham frequencies in an emergency, including those that are not covered by your class. BUT that is only in immediate life or death or saving property instances. It doesn't give you blanket authority to operate on Part 95 or 90 or 80 frequencies just because there's some bad weather. Just programming Part 80 frequencies requires a license that most hams don't even know exists. 90.427.b prohibits programming any Part 90 frequencies that you are not licensed for or authorized to transmit on. You need to understand the rules better.

If you want to use GMRS, get a license for it. The price was just reduced by a third and it covers your entire family. Then get radios that are type accepted for GMRS. They're better built and more reliable in rough service which is what emergencies are considered.

7. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotta ask....

I see the light on top of the roof. Exactly what purpose does that serve? Being a "storm chaser" does not give you any special privileges or allow you to go places where other "civilians" can not go so what's up with the blinky lights?

With all the communications gear but virtually no actual meteorological gear, it appears that you are just in it for the thrill.

But for any amateur who thinks chasing storms is "cool", I have two words: Tim Samaras. He was a professional meteorologist who was killed chasing storms along with his son and another TWISTEX team member. There are very few people on the face of this earth that knew convective storms as well as he did but all of this experience could not prevent his death.

Yeah, so you have a fancy truck outfitted with all sorts of electronic what-nots and doo-dads, but what makes you think that you will be any luckier than Mr. Samaras? And how will any of that stuff in your truck help you save lives or contribute to the study of convective storms?

[/soapbox]

W6ZKH, KU4X, KJ6NWU and 3 others like this.
  8. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Someone wrote the FCC on this a while back seeking clarification, got a written reply, and everything you said above IS true.

Time to go pop popcorn, cause I know what we're about to see posted.

KD2IAT likes this.
  9. N0IU

N0IU Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

KU4X, N9SOX, KA2CZU and 2 others like this.
  10. NM0O

NM0O Ham Member QRZ Page

Forgive me for belaboring a point probably made long ago, but here goes anyway.

I am a storm spotter, a volunteer for City of Peoria Emergency Management. As I see it, my job is to watch incoming weather and make certain that the city has notice of where and what it is before it can hit said city. Our communications are primarily on city P25 talkgroups, secondarily on our licensed ham frequencies. There is no question about non-type accepted radios being necessary for our work to be completed.

In addition to sufficient communications, when I am in the field, the guys in the EOC provide radar watch for me. A couple of weeks back, a tornado was headed my way, such that I could see the hail core approaching me directly. I knew it was time to move, and the EOC crew helped me make that decision in time to reach safety and continue with the night's work.

If I were a storm chaser, my "job" would be to make good video for sale, catch the thrill of the chase, and come back alive. This seems out of sync with spotting. Doing both must be confusing.

AI7PM and N0TZU like this.