ad: wmr-1

My start in amateur radio

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by Guest, Jan 3, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. Guest

Guest Guest

W8LKO writes " I was interested in radio at an early age and used to take them apart to see what made them work.

When I was a teenager I shoveled the driveway of a ham and he would then take me in to his shack and I would watch him working ten meters. It really was fun to listen to him talking and calling his cqs. He gave me an old Hallicrafter receiver which I would listen to and feel close to those conversations.

I tried learning the morse code but was always distracted by something. Usually girls. Finally after many years and having been married for eighteen years I learned the code and got my novice ticket. I got on the air immediately as I had already gotten an old transceiver and a vertical antenna and had hooked them up in anticipation. My first contact was in State College,Pa. That was exciting and I was hooked.

I worked 40 meters constantly gradually bringing up my speed and soon was ready for the test. I passed and got my general ticket. I was so proud.

As the vanity calls went into effect I kept thinking about that ham who helped inspire me and applied for his old call as it was available. I soon had my call although it seemed like it took forever and still am proud to have my present call.

I try to help others to learn about ham radio remembering where I was at one time. I still love working cw and 40 meters."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.