ad: k1jek

My rusty old fist

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4ZD, Nov 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm getting back on the air finally, after having been QRT for almost two years. I find my CW skills have atrophied somewhat. Can't copy much above about 25 WPM, but that should improve with practice.

But what is really frustrating is my sending skill. 18 WPM is about it, and even then my decrepit old fingers misfire and screw up a letter here and there. Grrrrrrr!

So, I grab a book, open it up, and start sending (sidetone only). I figure after maybe 40 or 50 pages it might all come back.

Durn paddles. Maybe I need to switch to a J38. :D

W2AI likes this.
  2. K0MB

K0MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sometimes I get up too early in the morning, and go to my shack before I am really awake. Sometimes it happens that I hear a desirable piece of DX, and actually call them. When the Morse comes out clean and proper I'm like, "Dam, where did THAT come from?"

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I can send just fine at European sunrise (the wee hours of the morning), but I rely the computer to get the time and band right. Automation has helped to increase my LoTW match to 74.4%

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  4. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I tried to use my straight key....I have essential tremors in my hands so my CW sounded like the key attached to a window shade in "On The Beach".

KE0EYJ, KK7AMB, WD0BCT and 2 others like this.
  5. W4ZD

I remember that old movie. Pretty good one, though kinda gloomy.

K4TTJ likes this.
  6. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

cud be worse........ I'm on everyday and maxed out at 21. I blame it on old age but its more likely skill related. 73 Rich

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think marathon practicesessions are the answer. The answer is EVERY DAY. ;)

K8AI and N2EY like this.
  8. W4ZD

I very much agree. As the old proverb goes, a journey of 1000 miles begins with one step. One must be patient, and take it one step at a time. :)

WZ7U likes this.
  9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So....what steps are you taking?

Here's one: the CWT mini-contests every week.

10. W4ZD

That's a good idea. I should try it.

My general philosophy is "just do it" and in time I'll get back up to speed (pun intended :)). Keep yer feet wet, and it will come, eh? Just getting on the air is probably the best remedy.

In the past I found the W1AW code broadcasts useful. As for exercising the fingers, a CPO and a book or a manual are also useful. A paragraph or page here or there.

"Just do it" is perhaps the most important thing, though. All that is really required is patience and a steady commitment. I guess my biggest flaw is a lack of patience. I want it, and I want it NOW. :D It might be a symptom of my age. I figure I don't have many years left, and it sometimes makes me impatient. ;)