My recent experience with Yeasu Support

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N9BC, Jan 12, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
  1. N9BC

N9BC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I upgraded to the latest firmware on my FTDX-3000 and after the performing the upgrade I noticed I could no longer set the power level past 50w. I called Yeasu support and ended up talking to Tim Factor. At the time of writing this is. He is currently the support manager. So now that I have him on the phone we downloaded the firmware once again. And he walked me through the process which I did a few times but I would entertain him and go through it again. If flashed just like before with no errors. Looking at the firmware versions I noticed that on the TFT version it was set to the correct one but also had more info than any of other firmware that was loaded. I took a short video of what I was seeing and sent it to Tim. He said he had never seen that before and needed to send this up to the Japan engineers.

A day later or so he got back to me. Stating the firmware that after installing the TFT firmware was once checked by pressing GEN+50+ENT Plus a forth key by mistake and then a second time by mistake. That is what caused it to be locked in to the EU/JAP 50w restriction. This condition can only happen as described. It was a innocent mistake by me by pressing the keys. He then offered to repair the radio at no charge but I would have to send the radio in to them.

No too happy that I have to send it in. But I would like it fixed. So I picked up a nice Pelican case packed the radio in and sent it off Via UPS. $120 later it is on its way.

A few weeks later I got an update. Not from Tim but another support person. He told me that the technician that looked at my radio noticed I had performed the MARS/CAP mod and shorted the control unit and that is what caused the issue. He then said to fix it I would need to pay $375. I replied back with what Tim had stated that came from the Japan Engineers that the only why it could happen is the key sequence that I mistakenly did. More emails exchanged and was told I would still need to pay the $375.

I personally think they can’t re-flash the board and the only way is to replace it. I also believe the MARS/CAP did not cause any issue since that was done over a year previously and did not have any issues adjusting the power level past 50w. I find it very disturbing that Yeasu would not honor the offer they initially told me. If I would have known they were going to charge me I would not have spent the money on a shipping case and paid for shipping it there. Needless to say I did not have them do the work.

Extremely disappointed with Yeasu and their dishonest practices.

Brent N9BC

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Welcome to life as a Yaesu customer, my friend. :(

3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I wonder if you will get the radio back in a cardboard box and no Pelican Case ?

K9ASE likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry...

Not surprised though. Just put it down to "lesson learned" I guess...get it fixed, sell it and move on to Icom or Kenwood.

5. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

WOW is my only thought and glad I don't have a Yaesu sitting here. That 3 year warranty obviously is useless.

N9BC good luck with that mess

6. N5BCN

N5BCN Ham Member QRZ Page

Would it help to get Tim back in the loop since he's a service manager and made the offer to fix it for free? Sorry this happened to you.

WD4IGX likes this.
  7. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't MARS mods invalidate the warranty if not done by the factory?

NX6ED and K2HAT like this.
  8. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now you know what the FT really stands for

K4PIH likes this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Brent,

Sorry to hear about this.

I have to ask... did this Tim Factor email you any of this information, or otherwise put it in writing? I strongly suspect, from your description, that he did not.

Without any of this in writing, it becomes your word of what he said against what someone else at Yaesu is claiming or going to claim he said. Now I don’t wish to imply that Mr. Factor was less than honest... but the reality is that if it’s not written down somewhere, well, things get forgotten, or verbal messages get lost or garbled or otherwise misunderstood.

I would suggest, if you have not already done so, to contact Mr. Factor directly, remind him of your conversation, and ask him to intervene. Hopefully, he recalls the conversation, or has notes on it somewhere (do they have a Help Desk type ticketing system to document calls?) and can do something.

That said, though, if Yaesu Service continues to allege that the MARS mod either caused this issue or caused other issues, despite your ability to run the rig for so long without problems... you may be stuck. Unpleasant as that is to face.

An expensive lesson in poor customer service. Just keep that in mind when the time comes to buy your next rig.

Good luck, and I hope that someone at Yaesu does the right thing by you.

K9ASE, WD4IGX and WZ7U like this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Subscriber QRZ Page

They're just mad because you spelled their name wrong :)

WA7PRC, N3AB and WU8Y like this.