ad: SDRKits-1

My nice new truck

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KF2Q, Jan 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KF2Q

KF2Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Bought a brand new Ford F150 Lariat. So nice, so pretty. Dashboard area just crammed with nifty tech features. Great detail in the finish.

In other words, I don't want to bugger it up. Want to run an HF rig, maybe 857 but doesn't have to be. So my question is; Has anyone with this same truck found a place to install a rig that won't put holes in the dash, or cover any of the features? I'm just not finding a good spot. Thanks!

2. K8HIT

K8HIT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Just velcros it to the top of your dash, many of us have done that with excellent results

4. W1GHD

W1GHD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

With the airbags installed in modern vehicles, on top of the dash, and potentially other places, are off limits. Knee bags, side curtains, etc. have changed the rules.

K8HIT and N0TZU like this.
  5. N3QAM

N3QAM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Do a lido cupholder mount , or a ram seat post mount.

6. KF5LJW

KF5LJW Ham Member QRZ Page

1. Buy Velcro Tape from a hobby shop, about 2-feet worth.
    2. Cut 3 equal lengths about 8-inches long, and tape the hooks to the bottom of the 857D.
    3. Slap on carpet under drivers seat, so rear end of the radio is about flush with back of drivers seat with seat all the way forward. Velcro Hooks will secure to carpet under seat.
    4. Right under the drivers seat is a Ground Hard Point the F-150 uses for power seats, UPS, door/locks, and seat heaters. Utilize that or Seat Bolt for the Radio Ground Wire. Make it as short as possible.
    5. Pop plastic Extrusion Panel out under drivers side door. There you will find two Race-Ways. One with Factory wiring harness an done for the consumer Auxiliary equipment. It was put there just for Law Enforcement and High-End AV manufactures to run power and signal cables. Use this channel to run Red Radio Battery wire to engine compartment behind drivers side kick panel. Once you pop-off the Door Channel Extrusion and Kick Panel you will see what I am talking about.
    6. On the firewall you will see where the factory wire harness passes through. Right below that is another Knock Out made just for you and Law Enforcement. Remove and replace with a Grommet and pass your radio battery wire. With just 1-waire, you can also use the same penetration the factory uses. Just cut the grommet a bit and push wire through. Seal with RTV.
    7. Route radio battery wire to the battery Positive Term Post. On the Factory Term Post Connector, you will notice open Terminals made just for you and Law Enforcement. Connect radio battery wire to it via a In-Line fuse. Keep the fuse wire as short as possible.
    8. Coax you have 3 options:
    • a. Run with radio battery wire to engine compartment to use a Z bracket antenna mount.
    • b. Run up door post under plastic trim cover for a gutter mount or roof mount.
    • c. Run to rear of truck for bumper mount.
    Control Head Wire you run with radio battery wire, and cut across to center console behind and under dash.

To mount Control Head is up to you as there are hundreds of options.

K0UO likes this.
  7. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

8. N2PQW

N2PQW Ham Member QRZ Page

Check out the No-Drill solutions from Ram Mounts, there's one or two that should solve any mounting position you choose:
    https://www.rammount.com/search?query=f-150

I really think their Mirror Mate mounts are pretty cool. They hang on the little knob that's already attached to your windshield, where your rear-view-mirror goes, and then the mirror goes back on top. The control for your radio sits just below the mirror. You can wire the microphone and speaker to the front of the console, out of the way.
    https://www.rammount.com/part/RAP-B-191AU
    [​IMG]

Just more ideas. Let us know what you decide, and show us the installation!

Cheers,
    David / N2PQW