My "New" Yaesu FT-840

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by KB3MLC, Jun 21, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KB3MLC

KB3MLC Ham Member QRZ Page

Top of the evening, all.

I've just received my newly purchased FT-840. A fantastic radio!

About twenty years old, the 840 is an easy-to-use, intuitive piece of equipment. Without the flair and pomp of my new FT-991A (with its waterfall display), or my slightly older Icom IC-7410 with its excess of DSP capability, the 840 is pleasantly archaic with its Darsenval Power/Signal-Strength Meter and yellow-backdrop digital display.

As an engineer, I get frustrated when I hear people discuss or decisively comment on how well their radio receives - without any mention of the kind of antenna being employed. The 840 does seem to have superior audio characteristics, and lacks in the functionality department only in that it does not include an integrated antenna tuner.

Very nice radio. Fun, simple to use. User-friendly for the ham, but resilient enough to be your contest machine.

Hope this review is useful to someone.

Take care.

KB3MLC

K8PG, PY2RAF and KX0Z like this.
  2. KX0Z

KX0Z Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an FT840. Yes its simple to use with no bells and whistles. Looking for something a bit smaller and bit more sophisticated and with built in antenna tuner. FT450D perhaps..

K8PG likes this.
  3. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've been a ham for a long time, but I was off the air for some years (family, etc). When I was first on the air, we all used separate transmitters and receivers. When I came back, almost nobody used them. I bought an 840 as an introduction to transceivers, and it was a really great radio! Easy and straight-forward to use, it just did its thing right. Only when the bands started getting hot again (about 10 years ago) did I sell it and get a rig with a fancier receiver, DSP, and some of the then-current bells and whistles. I still have the TS-590, and probably won't change it out for a while yet.

K8PG likes this.
  4. 2E0OQU

2E0OQU Ham Member QRZ Page

i had an 840 a few years ago and sold it to get some cash to get my ft-991 , now a few years later i got offered one for a song so i bought it to use for garden ops /outside ops .Super radio i love mine

K8PG likes this.
  5. N3FAA

N3FAA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I still own my original FT-900AT (very similar to the 840) and it still works amazingly well. Love it!