My new website

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K9STH, Jun 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Like several times before, my web host is abandoning the "websites for dummies" platform, at least that is what I call the system since I am horrible where html, etc., are concerned, that I have been using for the past 3-years. I could renew the old website but no technical help would be available. Also, although they said that they would not do it, in the past it has become impossible to even make any changes to the website. In addition, the cost of staying with the old system would increase by right at 60% plus the site is "not secure"!

However, going to a new platform, which produces a "secure" website, the price dropped about 15% when compared to what I paid 3-years ago. So, now secure website on a new platform.

Things got off to a rocky start when I started using the new system. Two different "technical support" people gave wrong information and things were getting really bad. Then, I got a person who knew what he was doing and was very familiar with the new platform. He actually called me and within a few minutes everything got straightened out. He also gave me contact information that bypasses the "normal" procedure by which you have no choice in what support person you will get.

The new platform is different from the old platform and I am still only doing very simple things. However, as I learn the "ins and outs" I will certainly be improving the website adding additional features, illustrations, etc. For now, the basic information that was on the old site is available on the new site. The old information was in PDF files and that is how they are on the new site.

I am very familiar with creating PDF files and creating using Microsoft Word is a "snap". Virtually everyone can handle PDF files and, as I indicated before, they are easy to create. There are a very few people who strongly criticize my use of PDF files saying that there are better ways to build a website. However, the majority of those people work with html, and other formats, on a daily basis which I do not.

I am NOT a programmer but am very experienced in the actual use of computers. In the "goode olde dayes", I was much more familiar with programming. In 1966 I had to learn ALGOL 58 and ALGOL 60 to run programs on the Burroughs 5500 computer on the Georgia Tech campus. Later, when personal computers started being popular, I could write some pretty complex programs in BASIC (my first computer was a Tandy / Radio Shack Model I). However, over the years, I have become a user and not a programmer!

The new URL

https://k9sth.net/

is almost the same as the old URL. The only addition is the "s" in https instead of the old just http.

I have not added photographs and I need to find a way to get some of the text darker. As such, it is a "work in progress". For a while, it will probably change on a daily basis.

Take a look at the new site and feel free to suggest additions, etc. But, remember, this is still a "website for dummies" type of website and do NOT tell me how "easy" it is to do things another way. The platform can utilize html and other things. As such, this new platform definitely has features beyond the old platform. As I learn how to use these new features, I may certainly add more complex features.

Remember, at 3-score and 15-years of age, I can definitely be stubborn and refuse to change certain things. However, I am not "that" stubborn and certainly will consider changes, variations, and so forth.

Glen, K9STH

KC3RN, W9RAC, KF5KWO and 2 others like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice website, very nice indeed and...looks like you're in boatanchor heaven. ;)

I had a website for a long while, but just got tired of fooling with it. Today other than my page on the Zed, I've got a FaceBook page. Can't say I miss messing with html editors and blah-blah-blah. :)

3. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

Since you're using Microsoft Word, why don't you save the file as HTML and upload that, perhaps in addition to the PDF file. I believe you just click on "save as" and select "web page" from the list of file types. It's not the greatest way to make a web page, but it works, and you will make the content a lot more useful to visitors. Again, there's nothing stopping you from also uploading the PDF version if you prefer to keep doing that.

4. K9STH

IS:

My Microsoft Word does not have an html feature. That is an additional, fairly high cost, option that is available as an "add on", as a separate program, or is "standard" in the Microsoft Office packages that have a considerably higher price.

My Microsoft Office package is a couple of generations back and, since my present package does everything that I need to do, I cannot justify getting the very latest, much higher priced, package. Being on a "fixed income" primarily from Social Security and a relatively small pension from TXU, I do have to be careful in my expenditures. My wife, and I, definitely get more money from Social Security than most people. As such, we are not "hurting" as are a lot of people who are living off of Social Security. But, I still have to be careful on what I do spend money and have to justify, to myself, spending for "extras".

In the past year, I had to have some exterior work done on the house (it is 50-years old), a French drain installed, and a new wood stockade fence installed just a couple of months ago. None of those projects were cheap!

Glen, K9STH

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Moderator Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

W1TRY likes this.
  6. W0IS

W0IS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not sure. Very few people use versions of software as old as I use. Just for fun, the next time you're using the program, click on "Save As" and then look through the available file types. I bet you'll see "web page, filtered," and "web page, unfiltered." (I have no idea what the difference is, but they both seem to work OK.)

7. WA7PRC

WA7PRC Ham Member QRZ Page

HTML is easy, similar to BASIC structure. There are lots of HTML references that can be of use to learn how to use a particular command. AFAIK, there's no advice on how to design a GOOD page. I see many that are WAY too "busy" and/or slow loading. Mine aren't.

I use FileZilla as my FTP application (there are others).

I only "print" to PDF when I'm re(creating) schematics in Visio for various pieces of ham equipment. Before my latest OS upgrade, I used PDF995 as my PDF "print driver". It's "sponsorware", with an ad popup each time (unless you pay a small one-time fee).

8. W9RAC

W9RAC Subscriber QRZ Page

Nice work Glen. I have had a site for around 25 years. Over the years I have changed providers but have always kept the same domain and email. I have added a few domains over the years which all point to the same site, just messing around with it now and again. I have been with Godaddy for the last 7 years or so and QTH before that to the beginning. Lots of people using WordPress nowadays too adding some nice features. I never used or upgraded to the security tab, I considered it but now of course Google Flags all of the ones who do not. Nice work sir, 73 Rich

9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Good show, and good luck.

10. K9STH

IS:

My Word version lists only the "normal" Word type files, "TXT", and PDF. There is an "other" but nothing comes up when that is selected!

I will take a look at the system that VWM listed and see what I can do with that program. Hopefully, it gives me the "website for dummies" capability!

I have the original, legitimate, paid for, installation discs for the Microsoft Office package and with every new computer, that, of course, seems to have the "latest and greatest" version of Windows, I have been told that my older Office package won't work and that I have to purchase the latest, high priced, version. Wrong! So far, I have not had any problems loading the old package on the new computer!

My wife, of 54-years, has 2-vices that I have given up trying "fix". The first is that every few years she wants an even larger screen television for the den. The old den television goes to the master bedroom and the old bedroom television goes to my eldest daughter (the artist). Her other vice is that, every few years, she wants a new desktop computer in the home office. Then, that computer goes out to the radio shack and the older shack computer goes into the workshop (for things like manuals, etc.).

My wife wanted nothing to do with computers. Then, several years ago, her eldest sister's (11-years her senior) daughter got a computer for her sister. Not wanting to be left behind, my wife started using the main computer in the home office. That expanded into my wife getting a tablet and then another tablet followed by a "smart" cellular telephone and finally into a laptop. She keeps the old "smart" cellular telephones connected to the wi-fi in the house even though they no longer are used to make telephone calls.

She sits in her chair using one device after the other. As the battery runs down, she grabs another unit. If, for some reason, the display on her laptop or tablet doesn't give enough detail, she comes into the home office to use the desktop with the larger monitor. My wife is a "user". If something "burps", she comes to me to get things working again. However, as far as actually using the devices, she has definitely turned into a "computer nerd"!

Glen, K9STH