ad: UR5CDX-1

My new vise.....not not my new vice

Discussion in 'Homebrew and Kit Projects' started by KL7AJ, Nov 21, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, come to think of it, this might end up being a vice, too!
    My new Grizzly XY (Cross Slide) vice. Nice thing to have if you drill a lot of holes....and I drill a lot of holes. It can also be uses for some light milling....but I don't plan on doing that...until I get a REAL mill.
    Stay tuned

Attached Files:

N3RYB and KD2QQF like this.
  2. WB5THT

WB5THT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of the Griz stuff is okay, I have their 12x36 gunsmith lathe. For a good small vertical mill check out Little Machine Shop - I have their High Torque Mini Mill. Great for small projects.

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

The little Sherline mills work great for electronic projects made out of aluminum and brass.
    Get the proper tooling for aluminum. I used high helix end mills and Alumtap when working with 6061-T6 aluminum stock.

Instead of using a vise, I often designed mounting holes for attaching the work to a sacrificial cast aluminum plate.

WB5THT likes this.
  4. KD2QQF

KD2QQF Ham Member QRZ Page

I've got the Harbor Freight version on my little drill press out back. I honestly view it as more of a inconvenience rather than a benefit.

Not because of the vise itself, but because the size difference between the drill press and the vise makes it detrimental to the drill presses capacity, vs my usage. ie. a lot of things I'm drilling are too tall to fit between the tip of the drill bit and the vise. My shops only 10'x8' and so I have no room for a floor model drill press(If I had room for 1 floor mount tool, it'd be a bandsaw). My benchtop units, that I bought for $20 in a broken state, and it just needed a $10 motor start capacitor, is far to undersized for the smallest X/Y vise I can find. I'm often drilling square/rectangular bolt patterns, so I thought the vise would be useful. I'm constantly hitting the column when going back. I'll also mention that on the HF model I have, the dials are in no scale I've been able to convert into. Essentially, the only use I get from if is that it gives a movable backstop to slide work against in a single plane, once I establish that as a reference.

G3EDM likes this.
  5. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

I've always found the American-English spelling: vise, to be useful (for the gripping tool).

In British English both meanings are spelled the same: vice.

73 de Martin, G3EDM/2ZE

WB5THT and N3RYB like this.
  6. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

IIRC the distance between the centre of the drill-press table, and the mounting pole, is known as "swing". When I lived in America and bought a drill press, I needed a lot of "swing" because I was building tube gear on relatively large aluminium chassis. I ended up buying a floor-standing model because that was the only way to get enough "swing".

As for the vise/vice, I had one clamped to the front of the bench, and another one that was specially designed for drill presses. The latter, however, was nothing like as nice as the OP's shown in post #1.

I drill a lot of holes too!!!

[​IMG]

73 de Martin, G3EDM

7. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought the HF version of the vise about 15 years ago to use with my Mortise machne. It made Mortising MUCH less labor intensive.

[​IMG]

8. KE0ZU

KE0ZU Ham Member QRZ Page

OOPS